Carnegie Mellon University

The Word

Student Handbook

Utility Lines and Building Alterations

No student or student organization may make alterations to university buildings or grounds or alter or tap into university utility lines without the written permission of Housing Services (in the case of fraternities, sororities and residence halls) or Facilities Management Services (in the case of all other campus buildings). Such permission will be given only when complete plans are available to the person granting permission and arrangements are made for inspection of the work following its completion to ensure that there are no violations of code and no violations of safety or interference with other university utility systems in connection with the work. Utility lines include the traditional utility infrastructure and the university voice/data communications system.

Tapping or in any way altering university utility lines, buildings or grounds without authorization is subject to disciplinary action.

Back to Community Policies Index