ORIGINS is an overnight, pre-orientation retreat for underrepresented, prospective students at CMU.
Collaborative Culture and Climate
Foster a climate for intentional interaction and collaboration between individuals and groups from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Create a coordinated infrastructure that supports student success from prospective students’ first inquiries through their lives as alumni.
- Focus on underrepresented groups, including women in certain fields, underrepresented minorities, first-generation students, students with disabilities and others.
- Reinforce throughout the community a fundamental personal respect for all individuals, underscored by civility, active engagement, transparency and support.
- Engage community members in ongoing and meaningful intergroup dialogues to engender global understanding and perspectives; identify opportunities to better integrate U.S. and international students.
- Provide curricular and metacurricular activities to benefit students, faculty and staff in a multicultural environment.
- Emphasize international exploration for students, including short-term, semester or yearlong study-abroad programs, internships overseas and the opportunity to spend time at CMU campuses outside Pittsburgh. Provide professional opportunities for faculty, staff and alumni to grow in cross-cultural competency.