Carnegie Mellon University

Submitting Supporting Financial Aid Documentation

Financial aid eligibility cannot be finalized until all required documentation is submitted and processed. If you've been identified as one of these students, you will receive a Financial Aid Alert email from The HUB (enrolled students) or the Office of Admission (newly admitted students through May) notifying you that documents are required in order to finalize your financial aid application. Instructions for submitting documents may be found in the chart below. 

About My Student Aid

The My Student Aid portal offers an easy-to-navigate overview of your financial aid. Within My Student Aid, you can view the status of your financial aid application, submit supporting documentation and related forms, and view your financial aid offer. 

Students must log in using their Andrew ID and password. Family members may access the system using either Carnegie Mellon, Facebook, Google or LinkedIn credentials.

Document Submission Instructions: My Student Aid

The documents listed below may be submitting directly to Carnegie Mellon through My Student Aid - this is the most secure way to submit documents. You may also submit documents by email to or

Child Support Paid

You indicated child support paid on your CSS Profile. Submit a signed statement indicating the total amount of child support paid for the applicable tax year. Child support paid is applicable when a student's biological parents divorce/separate. It is not simply financial support provided to the student. These are payments made due to divorce, separation, or a legal requirement or agreement is reportable.

DD214 Form

This form may be requested to confirm whether you are or will be a qualifying veteran. The form can be requested from the Department of Veterans Affairs at

FAFSA Release Authorization

The Department of Education requires all institutions to ensure the consistency of data related to a student's Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Before disbursing Federal Student Aid funds, all data discrepancies and conflicting information must be resolved. If you received a request for either a parent or student FAFSA Release Authorization, we have found conflicting information between your FAFSA and supporting documentation.

Please log in to My Student Aid to authorize Carnegie Mellon University to adjust FAFSA data in order to resolve the conflicting information between the FAFSA and other supporting documentation submitted to the university.

Parents or guardians who cannot access the authorization through My Student Aid may submit a PDF copy of the FAFSA Release Authorization: 

Printed forms may be completed, signed (handwritten), and submitted directly to CMU through My Student Aid or to (returning/enrolled students) or (newly admitted students). 

Non-U.S. Tax Documentation

Did you file taxes with a U.S. territory or commonwealth or a foreign central government? 

If yes, please submit a signed copy of your tax statement.

If not, please submit both of the following:

  • Wage statement(s) that confirm income earned from work from your employer.

  • Documentation from your taxing authority that confirms taxes were not filed. If this documentation is unavailable or unable to be obtained, you may complete the Non-Tax Filer Statement (see below).

Please note: Submit copies of your original tax or wage document(s) AND include a translation of the document(s) to English & U.S. dollars using the current currency exchange rates.

Non-Tax Filer Statement

If you are not required to and did not file taxes in the U.S. or any other country, please use this form to report your income from any/all sources. If that amount is zero, then please check the applicable box on the form.

Complete, sign (handwritten), and submit directly to CMU through My Student Aid or to (returning/enrolled students) or (newly admitted students). 

Parent/Student Form 1040-X

Submit a signed copy of your Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return (Form 1040-X) for the applicable tax year. 

Parent/Student Form 1099

Submit a copy for the applicable tax year through My Student Aid or to (returning/enrolled students) or (newly admitted students). 

Parent/Student Verification of Non-Filing Letter

This may be required if selected for federal verification. If confirmation of non-filing status is required, we recommend requesting an IRS tax transcript online. (View detailed instructions.)

Parent/Student Tax Returns and/or W-2s

Submit these directly to CMU through My Student Aid or to (returning/enrolled students) or (newly admitted students). 

Please note that only the first two pages of your 1040 are expected, and handwritten signatures and dates are required on page 2 of each Form 1040. 

If you filed taxes and/or earned income outside the U.S., please see Non-U.S. Tax Documentation (above). 

Parent/Student Tax Return Transcript

This may be required for dependent students if selected for federal verification. If required, we recommend requesting a transcript online (view detailed instructions).

CMU Perkins Replacement Loan Packet

Visit My Student Aid and select the CMU Perkins Replacement Loan Application Packet, and follow the on-screen instructions. Student log-in (Andrew ID and password) is required for this form.

Proof of Medical & Dental Expenses

This may be requested if an amount of unreimbursed medical/dental expenses are listed on your CSS Profile. Please submit copies of medical/dental expenses that are not covered by insurance/unreimbursed corresponding to the tax year reported on your FAFSA/CSS Profile. For the 2024-2025 award year, the expenses would be from 2022. These do not include insurance premiums. Any documentation supplied should show proof of payment, not just billed or owed.

Reaffirmation Letter

If you exceed your aggregate or annual federal loan borrowing limits (find limits at, you may no longer be eligible for any form of federal financial aid until you can reestablish your eligibility. To reestablish your eligibility, you can either repay the excess loan amount in full, or make repayment arrangements with your Federal Loan Servicer (a process called Reaffirmation). In either case, you must provide Student Financial Aid with a letter from your Federal Loan Servicer confirming that you have made arrangements to reestablish your eligibility. 

Schedule A

This may be requested if an amount of unreimbursed medical/dental expenses are listed on your CSS Profile. Please submit a copy of your Schedule A corresponding to the tax year reported on your FAFSA/CSS Profile. For the 2024-2025 award year, the Schedule A would be from 2022. 

Schedules B, C, D, E, K-1

Submit these tax schedules directly to CMU through My Student Aid or to (returning/enrolled students) or (newly admitted students). View more information about these tax schedules.

Unsubsidized or Parent PLUS Loan Only Form

Complete the form, sign (handwritten), and submit directly to CMU through My Student Aid or to (returning/enrolled students) or (newly admitted students).

U.S. Citizenship Documentation

Submit an original copy of U.S. Citizenship Documentation (i.e., U.S. Passport, Certification of Naturalization) in person to the HUB. If you are unable to appear in person, complete the U.S. Citizen/Eligible Non-Citizen Authentication of Documentation form (pdf) and submit it through My Student Aid or to (returning/enrolled students) or (newly admitted students).

Verification of Household Information

Based on a review of your financial aid application materials, you are required to verify your household information, which also includes information about any household members enrolled in a degree-seeking or certificate program at a college or university. To complete the form, please visit My Student Aid and select the Verification of Household InformationStudent log-in (Andrew ID and password) is required for this form.

Yeknik Student Loan Packet

Please visit My Student Aid, select the Yeknik Student Loan Application Packet, and follow the on-screen instructions. Student log-in (Andrew ID and password) is required for this form.

Default Clearance Letter

If you are in default on one or more federal student loans, you are not eligible to receive additional federal student aid until your defaulted loans have been resolved. You may log into NSLDS to review your official loan history at see which loan is defaulted. To regain eligibility for financial aid, you need to submit a letter from your lender indicating that your loan is no longer in default either because it has been paid in full or because satisfactory payment arrangements have been completed to remove the loan from a defaulted status.

Other Document Submission Instructions

The documents listed below may be submitted by following the instructions provided.

CSS Profile

If applying for institutional financial aid programs, complete the CSS Profile online at If you do not have a College Board online account, you will need to create one in order to complete your CSS Profile application. Carnegie Mellon receives your Profile data electronically from CSS. Carnegie Mellon's CSS College Code is 2074. 


Complete your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at

Carnegie Mellon Federal School Code: 0003242

A Department of Education Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID is required. View FSA ID instructions.

FAFSA Federal Tax Information Approval & Consent

New for 2024-2025: Students and contributors (typically parents, for dependent students; and spouses for independent students) will need to provide approval and consent for their Federal Tax Information (FTI) to be utilized for their FAFSA to be processed. If this approval/consent is not provided, then your FAFSA cannot be processed. If students and/or contributors don’t already have an FSA ID, they may begin that process on the Federal Student Aid website.

FAFSA Signature

If you and a parent (for dependent students) do not sign your FAFSA, then it cannot be processed. Please visit this website for instructions on how to sign your FAFSA.

Federal Master Promissory Note (MPN) and/or Entrance Counseling

Complete online at

If you do not wish to borrow Federal Direct Loans, please complete a Loan Adjustment (pdf) form and email it to (returning/enrolled students) or (newly admitted students).

Financial Aid Terms and Conditions

When you login to Student Information Online (SIO), you may be prompted to acknowledge and agree to the financial aid terms and conditions before accessing the site, regardless of whether you receive financial assistance. For the most recent copy of these terms, visit our website.

Parent CSS Profile

All parents complete a CSS Profile application at In the case of divorced or separated parents, each parent will complete their own CSS Profile application with different College Board accounts/login credentials. Carnegie Mellon receives your Profile electronically from College Board.

Parent PLUS Loan Application

Apply online at by selecting 'Parent' and 'Apply for a Parent PLUS Loan'.

Parent PLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN) and/or Entrance Counseling

Complete MPN online at by selecting 'Parent' and either 'Complete a Master Promisory Note for a Parent PLUS Loan' or 'Complete PLUS Credit Counseling'.

Provisionally Independent Student

Based on how you answered questions on your FAFSA, you may be identified as a Provisionally Independent Student. All Provisionally Independent Students must submit Carnegie Mellon's Unusual Circumstances Form and supporting documentation based on their situation. After review of these documents, the Student Financial Aid Office will determine the student’s dependency status.

SAVE Verification Process

If you indicated on your FAFSA that you are an eligible noncitizen and provided an A-number, identifying information is sent to the DHS for eligible noncitizen matching. If the match is unsuccessful, then you should check that the A-number listed on your FAFSA is correct; if incorrect, then make the correction to your FAFSA directly. If it is correct, we may request documentation to support your eligible noncitizen status. Acceptable documents may include, but are not limited to, I-94 Form, Permanent Resident Card, Resident Alien Card, I-94A Form.

Copy of Social Security Card

Electronic submission of Social Security information is discouraged. If you need to correct the Social Security Number on your FAFSA, please follow these instructions. If needed, Social Security Cards may be presented in person at The HUB. We will make a copy of the card, so there is no electronic submission.

Verification of High School Completion

Provide one of the following documents to indicate your high school completion:

  • A copy of a high school diploma
  • A copy of a final, official high school transcript that shows the date the diploma was awarded
  • A copy of a General Education Development (GED) certificate or GED transcript
  • An academic transcript that indicates you successfully completed at least a two-year program acceptable for full credit toward a bachelor's degree
  • A copy of a secondary school completion credential for homeschool (other than a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent) if state law requires homeschooled students to obtain that credential
  • A transcript or equivalent, signed by your parent or guardian, that lists the secondary school courses you completed and documents the successful completion of a secondary school education in a homeschool setting

Identity and Statement of Educational Purpose

This may be submitted using one of the following options:

1) Submit a valid government-issued photo ID and the Identity and Statement of Educational Purpose form (linked below) in person to The HUB or Office of Admission; or

2) If unable to appear in person, we may accept a copy of a valid government-issued photo ID and an original notarized Identity and Statement of Education Purpose form (linked below) mailed to The HUB (for enrolled/returning students) or Office of Admission (for newly admitted students), 5000 Forbes Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15213. We can only accept original notarized forms via mail; photocopied forms or those that are faxed or emailed cannot be accepted. 

Financial Aid Offer

You will receive an email notification to your CMU Andrew email account once your financial aid offer (eligibility notification) is available to view in the My Student Aid portal.

Previous Year Documents & Forms

To submit financial aid documents for the 2023-2024 academic year, please reach out to your HUB liaison for instructions. 

If you're looking for a form for the previous academic year, check the forms and documents webpage, or contact your HUB liaison.