Announcing the Search for a Vice Provost for Enrollment Management
Dear Members of the Carnegie Mellon University Community:
I am pleased to announce the launch of the search for Carnegie Mellon’s Vice Provost for Enrollment Management. Building on the momentum grown by Dean of Admission Mike Steidel and his team — under whom the university witnessed admission numbers reach impressive new heights — this new role will enhance CMU’s enrollment and admission strategies in the rapidly changing higher education landscape.
The Vice Provost for Enrollment Management will play a critical role in how we approach demographic shifts, access and affordability, and the broader higher education market. They will develop a strategy that embraces the lifecycle of the student from the time they consider their higher education journey to the moment they graduate and officially become CMU alumni. Through thought leadership and data-informed best practices, the VP for Enrollment Management will collaborate across all aspects of the field, including marketing, enrollment, student success and outcomes. To further collaboration, efficiency and effectiveness, they will oversee the integration of the offices of Admission and Enrollment Services, an organizational structure many of our peer institutions have adopted.
To lead the search, Becky Culyba, vice provost for Operations and Strategic Initiatives, and Michael Murphy, distinguished service professor and executive director of the Center for Leadership Studies, will co-chair a search advisory committee whose members are:
- Miguel Alvarez, Associate Director of Admission, Undergraduate Admissions;
- Josh Centor, Associate Vice President for Student Affairs and Director of Athletics;
- Tom Cortina, Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs, School of Computer Science;
- Mark D’Angelo, Learning and Development Consultant and Trainer, Office of the Vice Provost for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion;
- Tatyana Gershkovich, Associate Professor of Russian Studies, Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences;
- Brian Hill, Assistant Vice President and Director of Student Finances & Systems, Enrollment Services;
- Caillou Peña, Student, Institute for Politics and Strategy;
- Mary Ellen Poole, Stanley and Marcia Gumberg Dean, College of Fine Arts;
- Nicholas Scibetta, Vice President, University Communications and Marketing;
- Jackie Speedy, Associate Dean, School of Public Policy and Management, Heinz College;
- Jennifer Wegner, Assistant Dean, Undergraduate Programs, Tepper School of Business;
- Michael Young, Associate Professor and Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Mellon College of Science;
- Conrad Zapanta, Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies, College of Engineering; and
- Henry Zheng, Vice Provost for Institutional Effectiveness and Planning.
With assistance from the executive search firm WittKieffer, the committee will identify qualified individuals, encourage nominations and applications, and ensure a diverse applicant pool. Throughout the fall semester, they will engage stakeholders across campus to obtain input on the role and candidates, aiming to fill the position in the spring 2023 semester following the next admission cycle.
To learn more about this role and the search process, as well as to submit confidential inquiries, nominations or applications, visit the Vice Provost for Enrollment Management search website.
I extend my gratitude to the teams and individuals who are playing an important role in this selection process. In particular, I thank the enrollment and admission teams at CMU, whose feedback, guidance and insight will be critical in selecting a top-tier candidate and in shaping the future of enrollment and admission at CMU.
Provost and Chief Academic Officer