Carnegie Mellon University

Campus Building Access

Many of the buildings around campus have access control readers on their exterior doors in order to ensure security after hours and on weekends. By default and as members of the campus community, all cardholders, including students, faculty, staff, and sponsored individuals, have access to these buildings:

  • University Center
  • Cyert Hall
  • Doherty Hall
  • Newell-Simon Hall
  • 311 S. Craig
  • Wean Hall
  • Porter Hall
  • Baker Hall
  • Hamburg Hall
  • West Wing Computer Cluster
For questions or issues regarding building access, contact The HUB.

The following is a list of campus spaces that are controlled by individual departments. To access these spaces, please contact the department to request authorization. 

 Department  Space

School of Computer Science

Interior doors in Newell-Simon Hall 
2nd floor 300 S. Craig 
407 S. Craig
417 S. Craig

Chemical Engineering

DH  A226, DH 2103

Pitt. Super Computing Center

300 S. Craig 3-4 Floors

School of Music

CFA Music Labs


DH Chemistry Labs

Tepper School of Business

Posner and GSIA

Mellon College of Science

Mellon Institute

Civil and Environmental Engineering

Porter Hall CEE Wing


Intelligent Workplace

Computing Services

311 S. Craig

The majority of residential buildings on campus have electronic locks on them. Room access is automatically encoded onto the ID Card for first-year students. Returning students may visit Housing Services or use one of the self-service kiosks located on campus to have their ID Card updated for room access. Campus housing access questions may be directed to Housing Services at

Hardware malfunctions, such as doors not closing or locking properly or card readers failing to read, should be reported so that they can be repaired and security can be maintained. Issues should be reported to Facilities Management Services at 412-268-2910. If the issue is determined to be a damaged or improperly coded ID Card, visit ID Card Services in The HUB.