Carnegie Mellon University

COVID-19 Medical Requests for Accommodations

Consistent with CMU’s commitment to maintain the health, safety and welfare of its faculty and staff, the university will provide a reasonable accommodation to eligible faculty and staff who, because of the COVID-19 pandemic, require workplace accommodations to enable them to perform the essential functions of their job, unless doing so would create an undue hardship. 

Disability Services has developed a COVID-19 reasonable accommodation process to seek workplace accommodations for faculty and staff who either: 

  1. the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has determined may be at increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19 (as described below); or
  2. have a disability which has been exacerbated by, or otherwise requires accommodation because of, the COVID-19 pandemic.

Based on currently available information and clinical expertise, the CDC has determined that those who may be at an increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19 include individuals who are 65 years of age and older, and/or individuals who have any of the following conditions:

  • Chronic kidney disease
  • COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
  • Pulmonary fibrosis (having damaged or scarred lung tissues)
  • Asthma (moderate-to-severe)
  • Serious heart conditions (such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathies)
  • Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) from solid organ transplant, blood or bone marrow transplant, immune deficiencies, HIV, use of corticosteroids, or use of other immune weakening medicines
  • Obesity (body mass index [BMI] of 30 or higher)
  • Sickle cell disease
  • Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes mellitus)
  • Cerebrovascular disease (affects blood vessels and blood supply to the brain)
  • Cystic fibrosis
  • Hypertension or high blood pressure
  • Neurologic conditions (such as dementia)
  • Liver disease
  • Pregnancy
  • Thalassemia (a type of blood disorder)
  • Smoking (current or former smoker)
  • Cancer


  1. Initiate the process using the COVID-19 Medical Request for Reasonable Accommodations
  2. You will be asked to log into Workday using you Andrew ID and password. 
  3. Once in Workday, please click Create Request. 
  4. In the text box that appears, please type COVID, click enter, and then select the appropriate medical request for accommodations form and click OK:
    • COVID-19 CDC Increased Risk Medical Request for Reasonable Accommodations, if you are an individual the CDC has determined may be at increased risk
    • COVID-19 Other Disabilities Medical Request for Reasonable Accommodations, if you are not an individual the CDC has determined may be at increased risk but have a disability that is exacerbated by, or otherwise requires, work accommodations due to COVID-19
  5. You will be asked a series of questions concerning the medical reasons.
  6. You will be asked to describe the reasonable work accommodations you are requesting in the space provided.
  7. Once your request has been submitted, the Office of Human Resources (OHR) will initiate an interactive dialogue with you and your supervisor to discuss what reasonable accommodations may be available to you. 
  8. Through this process, OHR may request medical information from your physician or medical provider using one of the Related Forms below. All medical information provided to OHR during this process will be kept confidential. 
  9. As a final step, any workplace accommodations resulting from this interactive process will be memorialized in a COVID-19 Individual Accommodation Plan.

If you received a COVID-19 medical work accommodation for the Fall 2020 semester, you may request a continuation of the work accommodation by sending an email to Disability Services. You are not required to submit another request through Workday. Upon receipt of your email, Disability Services will contact your department head/supervisor to discuss the request.