Carnegie Mellon University

Informal Process

When you experience an issue at work, your first line of communication on job-related matters is your supervisor. Since open communication facilitates fair treatment, you are encouraged to ask questions and to offer opinions and suggestions. Discussion with your supervisor can usually solve problems that may have developed and often leads to a better working relationship.

If discussion with your supervisor does not resolve a job-related issue, your HR business partner is available to consult with you. Staff members can obtain information about university policies affecting their employment, request feedback about their particular situation and explore alternatives. Schedule a meeting by contacting your area's HR business partner.

Staff members experiencing work-related problems also can consult with the university ombudsperson. The ombudsperson's role is to receive complaints, help clarify issues and suggest possible solutions to work-related problems. The ombudsperson also coordinates the staff grievance procedure. To arrange an appointment with the ombudsperson, call 412-268-3930.

Additional Resources Through the Employee Assistance Program

Counselors are available for confidential, professional consultation at no cost to the staff member through the university’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP). To schedule an appointment with an EAP counselor, or for more information about this service, please see the EAP Resources page.