Carla Freund to Retire
Please join the Office of Human Resources in wishing Carla Freund, director of the Cyert Center, well in her retirement! Carla has served the university for over 36 years, beginning as an educational coordinator for a preschool classroom before moving to the two-year old classroom.
During her tenure, Carla:
- Developed the first Infant Toddler program as part of the expansion that moved the Cyert Center to the current Morewood Avenue location.
- Developed a plan to expand infant care, including an Infant Wing addition.
- Served as the educational coordinator for the Infant and Toddler program.
- On September 11, 2001, became the Cyert Center co-director. While settling into the office, a teacher came and asked if the center had a plan for a possible terrorist attack, which set the expectation that anything could happen at any time.
- In 2012, became the director of the Cyert Center Program.
- Worked with OHR to expand the program to the Penn Avenue location including helping with the design, recruiting and staffing and licensure, ultimately become the director of both locations.
- Led the Cyert Center through the pandemic, helping families and children navigate through the uncertainties while working to ensure a high quality of education through alternative means such as virtual programming.
Throughout her successful career, Carla ensured that the center maintained its deep commitment to offer children the highest quality of care and education. On August 16, her OHR colleagues, the Cyert Center team and families had a chance to celebrate Carla’s years of hard work and service and express their appreciation. As some of the speakers noted, Carla will be sorely missed not only for her dedicated work but also her friendship.
Congratulations, Carla! Enjoy your next adventure!