Teaching Professor of Chinese Studies
341 Posner Hall
Department of Modern Languages
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
I joined the Modern Languages Department at Carnegie Mellon University in 2010, and have developed and taught Chinese language and culture courses at all levels. Currently, I am the Coordinator of the Chinese Studies Program, Executive Editor of Studies in Chinese Learning and Teaching, and member of the Board of Directors of the Chinese Language Teachers Association of Western Pennsylvania. I received my Ph.D. degree from the Department of Asian Languages and Literatures at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor in 2010. Before that, I received two Master's degrees in Comparative Literature and Classical Chinese Literature from the University of Western Ontario and Beijing Language and Culture University. My research interests include classical Chinese poetry and literati miscellanies, Chinese language, literature and culture, CFL (Chinese as a Foreign Language) pedagogy, and technology-enhanced learning. I co-edited/authored four books published by Beijing University Press, entitled respectively Tradition and transition: Teaching Chinese culture overseas, Living overseas: Cases, strategies and guidance for CFL teachers around the world, Cross-cultural communication: Teaching Chinese in the global context, and Tales of teachers: Case studies and reflections from CFL classrooms in North America. I am also the author of the bestselling children’s book series Luoluo ting’s adventure in ancient Chinese mythology.
Areas of Interest
- Classical Chinese poetry
- Chinese literati miscellanies
- CFL (Chinese as a Foreign Language) pedagogy
- Technology-enhanced learning
- Chinese language courses at all levels
- Into the World of the Anomalies: Chinese Ghost Literature and Culture
- Traditional Chinese Thought and Literature through Comic Books
- Visions of China: Modern Chinese Society and Culture through Documentary Films
- Chinese Popular Culture: A Game of Learning
Selected Awards and Honors
- Falk Research Grant
- Berkman Faculty Development Grant
- Canada National Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council Doctoral Scholarship
Selected Community, University, and Professional Service
- Chinese Studies Program Coordinator 2019-present
- The American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Certified Chinese OPI (Oral Proficiency Interview) Tester 2019-present
- Studies in Chinese Learning and Teaching (ISSN 2334-2684) Executive Editor 2015-present
- Chinese Language Teachers Association of Western Pennsylvania (CLTA-WPA) Secretary-Treasurer & Board of Directors Member 2014-present
- CMU Modern Languages Undergraduate Language Assistant Program Director 2014-present
- Liu, G. January, 2021. "Dreamed Away: Luoluo Ting’s Adventure in Ancient Chinese Mythology (5-book series)." Beijing: New Stars Press.
- Liu, Z, Liu, G, Wang, H. et al. April, 2021. "Tales of Teachers: Case Studies and Reflections from CFL Classrooms in North America." Beijing: Peking University Press.
- Wang, H. & Liu, G. eds. May, 2021. "Cross-cultural communication: Teaching Chinese in the global context." Beijing: Peking University Press.
- Liu, G. & Wang, H. eds. June, 2021. "Living overseas: Cases, strategies and guidance for CFL teachers around the world." Beijing: Peking University Press.
- Liu,G. & Wang, H. eds. July, 2021. "Tradition and Transition: Teaching Chinese Culture Overseas." Beijing: Peking University Press.