Carnegie Mellon Entrepreneurship Research Guide
Startup & Co-working Space
Listing of space that is ‘friendly’ to startups and small enterprises (low rent and month-to-month leases) that is close to the ‘university corridor’ (Fifth and Forbes Avenues) and accessible by public transportation.
NEW! Second stage space listings under a new tab. These spaces are still startup friendly but they are geared for teams that have outgrown the startup and co-working space (generally when the team reaches 10 or more people).
Please send any additions to the listings to email@example.com.
START SMART Seminar & Workshop Material
- Employment/Employee Equity Matters [.pdf]
- Protecting Your Intellectual Property [.pptx]
- Startup Funding Identifying and Avoiding the Pitfalls [.ppt]
- Structuring and Leveraging “Partnering” Arrangements
- Doing Business in China [.pptx]
- Startup Funding: Avoiding the Pitfalls [.pptx]
- Structuring Startups [.pptx]
- Understanding Investment Securities [.pptx]
- Taking Money from Friends, Family, and Angels [.pptx]
- How to Shop for a Lawyer [pdf]
- Raising Capital [pdf]
- Raising Capital Part 1 [pdf]
- How to Conduct Patent Research [pdf]
- Business Formation [pdf]
Articles and information regarding intellectual property and its importance
NOTE: While these have been good resources for many startups, CMU does not own or manage the content of these.
Splitting the Equity Pie
- Equity Compensation [.pdf]
- Founder Share Vesting [.pdf]
- Founder's Pie Calculator [.xls]
- Founder's Pie [.pdf]
- Fundraising [.pdf]
- Raising Money from Private Investors [.pdf]
- Tactical Plan for Raising Money from Private Investors [.pdf]
- Small Piece - Big Pie [.pdf]
- Small Piece - Big Pie Graphics [.xls]
Compensation & Equity
- Cofounder Equity Split, 50/50 is the Wrong Answer
- How to Split Equity Among Founders
- The Idea or The Execution?
- How Big Should an Employee Option Pool Be?
- How Startup Options (and Ownership) Works
- Recommendations for Startup Employee Options Plan
- Startup Employee Options - Beyond One Size FIts All [VIDEO]
- Is It Possible to Acheive Equitable Equity for Startup Employees? [VIDEO]