FT Benefits Enrollment-Human Resources - Carnegie Mellon University

Full-Time Benefits Enrollment

As a new full-time, benefits-eligible employee, one of your first tasks is to enroll in your benefit options and complete the paperwork required of new employees. This page includes the processes required by the Benefits Office to enroll you in the university's benefit programs.

Medical, Life Insurance and Disability Benefits:

You must enroll in or opt-out of health care, life insurance and/or disability benefits coverage for yourself and your eligible dependents no later than 30 days from your hire date. To enroll or opt-out of coverage, please do the following:

  1. Review the Benefits Workbook for Domestic Full-Time Employees [pdf].
  2. Connect to HR Connection. (Enter your Andrew User ID/Password to authenticate, then enter your date of birth [mm/dd/yyyy] as your HR Connection password.) Follow the prompts to select your benefits in each category.
  3. If you are in a same- or opposite-sex domestic partnership, review the Domestic Partners of Full-Time Faculty and Staff Registration Packet [pdf] and complete any of the appropriate forms. You cannot use HR connection to process benefits for your partner until the registration form has been submitted and accepted.
  4. If you are enrolling a spouse/domestic partner or dependent children in your coverage, documentation that proves your relationship must be submitted within 30 days of their enrollment date, or they will be removed from your coverage.

Retirement Benefits:

The university contributes to the Faculty and Staff Retirement Plan (FSRP), a 403(b) retirement plan, on your behalf at no cost to you.  You are automatically enrolled in the university’s plan in an age-appropriate TIAA-CREF LifeCycle fund. You can, at any time, change the TIAA-CREF default enrollment to another TIAA-CREF investment or by initially completing the appropriate form for Vanguard. 

You can also enroll in the Tax Deferred Annuities (TDA) Plan (403 (b)) to contribute your own money in a Supplemental Retirement Account (SRA) for your retirement. University and personal contributions can be invested in a variety of options at TIAA-CREF and/or Vanguard.

NOTE:  Full-time eligible faculty and staff who are considered to be non-resident aliens are automatically enrolled in the CMU 401(k) Plan only available through Vanguard for university contributions in an age-appropriate Target Retirement fund.  The 401(k) Plan has similar features to the FSRP, and you can elect to contribute your own money in a Supplemental Retirement Account (SRA) in the 401(k) as well.

Both TIAA-CREF and Vanguard offer free one-on-one counseling sessions on campus.

To enroll in an SRA at either TIAA-CREF or Vanguard, or to change your default university enrollment:

  1. Review the Enrolling in Your Carnegie Mellon Retirement Benefits [pdf] overview.
  2. Access the retirement carrier websites or enrollment guides to research their funds and products:
  3. Complete the appropriate university and carrier enrollment forms:
If you don't enroll or opt-out within the 30 day period, your benefits coverage will be defaulted. The cost will be deducted from your paycheck.
  • Medical: UPMC PPO Option 2 (employee only)
  • Rx: Caremark Option B (employee only)
  • Dental: none
  • Vision: none
  • Life Insurance: Basic (1 x salary)
  • Dependent Life Insurance: none
  • Long Term Disability: Basic
  • Spending Accounts: no contributions
  • Retirement (no cost to you):   FSRP: age appropriate TIAA-CREF Lifecycle Fund.   Non-Resident Aliens -CMU 401(k) Plan into the age appropriate Vanguard Target Retirement fund with the target year in which the participant will reach 65
  • Supplemental Retirement Account: no contributions

default benefits plan