International Allowances-HR @ Carnegie Mellon University - Carnegie Mellon University

International Allowances

An employee on international assignments of four months or longer (i.e., short-term, long-term or long-term extended) may be eligible for special allowances and services to facilitate relocation, as agreed upon with his/her sponsor. Eligibility will vary based on the sponsorship, program, assignment length, department and sponsor agreement.

Examples of allowances that are often granted include:

  • Visa services
  • Travel allowances
  • Housing allowances
  • Vehicle allowances 

In order to avoid duplication and to achieve the intended purpose of the allowance, the university may coordinate the allowances it provides an employee with the allowances provided to the employee's spouse by the spouses’ employer.