Benefits for International Employees
New 2015 Workbooks:
- 2014 Workbook for International Expatriate Employees [pdf]
- 2014 Workbook for International Local Employees [pdf]
Log into HR Connection to make your benefit elections.
Carnegie Mellon provides benefits for its employees serving in assignments outside the United States. These benefits cover five core categories:
- health (medical, prescription drug, dental, vision and employee assistance plan),
- life insurance, and
- disability benefits.
The benefits available to international faculty and staff are comparable to the benefits for our domestic faculty and staff, but are not identical. Some benefits may involve Pittsburgh facilities or vendors not available to those outside the United States. Some benefits are governed by U.S. and/or host nation laws, and may not be available to all faculty and staff.
Making Benefit Elections
Like domestic faculty and staff, international employees may select/change their benefits only under certain circumstances:
- Upon hire into an international assignment: All changes must be made within 30 days of the employee's benefits eligibility date.
- During the Open Enrollment period: Changes will take effect on the following January 1, and will be in effect for the entire calendar year, unless the employee experiences a life/family status change.
- Upon a Life or Family Status Change: An employee may add/remove dependents or begin/end coverage to accommodate a change in life or family status. All changes must be made within 30 days of the status change, or the employee will need to wait until the next Open Enrollment period.
Contact the Carriers:
CIGNA International Expatriate Benefits
Group Number: 02424A
Phone: 1-800-441-2668 or 302-797-3100 (Outside the U.S. should call collect.)
Tel-Drug Phone: 1-800-835-3784 or 605-373-0100
InterGlobal International Benefits
Phone: 1-866-895-7795 (U.S.) or 44-1252-745-910 (Outside the U.S. should call collect)
Sun Life Financial
Life and AD&D Insurance
PO Box 81365, Wellesley Hills, MA 02481
Long-Term Disability Insurance
PO Box 81830, Wellesley Hills, MA 02481
Phone: 800-247-6875 (disability claims)
International Employee Assistance Plan (EAP)