Transitioning to Postsecondary School-HR @ Carnegie Mellon University - Carnegie Mellon University

Transitioning to Postsecondary School

The responsibilities of postsecondary schools are significantly different from those of school districts. Moreover, you will have responsibilities as a postsecondary student that you did have as a high school student. It is strongly encouraged that you know your responsibilities and those of postsecondary schools under Section 504 and Title II. Doing so will improve your opportunity to succeed as you enter postsecondary education.

The following questions and answers provide more specific information to help you succeed.

As a student with a disability leaving high school and entering postsecondary education, will I see differences in my rights and how they are addressed?

May a postsecondary school deny my admission because I have a disability?

Do I have to inform a postsecondary school that I have a disability?

What academic adjustments must a postsecondary school provide?

Do I have to prove that I have a disability to obtain an academic adjustment?

What documentation should I provide?

Who has to pay for a new evaluation?

Once the school has received the necessary documentation from me, what should I expect?

What if the academic adjustment we identified is not working?

May a postsecondary school charge me for providing an academic adjustment?

What can I do if I believe the school is discriminating against me?

contact disability resources


U.S. Department of Education, Office of Civil Rights