Carnegie Mellon is a global research university recognized for academic excellence, groundbreaking research and interdisciplinary collaboration. Human Resources supports the university's efforts to attract, develop and retain a world-class, diverse workforce. Recognizing that each employee plays an important role in advancing Carnegie Mellon’s success, Human Resources also provides a variety of high-quality programs and services that help employees thrive. Our website provides information about these programs and services, as well as Carnegie Mellon’s benefits programs. If you have any questions, please contact us.
What's Happening in Human Resources
HR Systems Frozen after December 15: Important Dates for HR Processes
HR systems, including HR Connection, Talent Management System, HREM, and the HR Data Warehouse will be frozen and read-only after December 15th to prepare for the launch of Workday on December 29th.
Refer to the following dates and information for guidance during this transition:
- Beginning at 5:00 p.m. ET on December 1 you can no longer make changes to your employee retirement contribution percent through HR Connection.
- December changes effective January 1, 2015: You must complete a hard copy Salary Reduction Agreement form in December for a percent change to be effective for January. The form must be returned to HR/Benefits no later than Monday, December 22 at 4:00 pm. Contact us at 412-268-2047.
- January 2015 and after: Log into Workday and make your changes.
- Visit Retirement Savings for more information about retirement options.
- Tuition Benefits
- Due to taxation guidelines, and with our upcoming transition to Workday, we will be unable to accept and process tuition benefit applications after December 7, 2014 until January 5, 2015.
- If you are taking undergraduate courses at CMU or if you are taking courses at an outside institution that you wish to have paid/taxed in 2014, please submit your request and all supporting documentation by December 7, 2014. Incomplete applications as of December 8, 2014 will be cancelled and you will need to resubmit on/after January 5, 2015.
- If you are taking graduate courses at CMU in Spring 2015 please do not submit your request until January 5, 2015 or later.
- Life and FamilyStatus and Employee Status (Part-Time to Full-Time, Full-Time to Part-Time) Changes
- The last day to change benefits in HR Connection due to life and family or employee status changes is midnight December 14.
- December 15 through December 28: You will need to contact HR Benefits (412-268-2047) and manually complete required paperwork. You have 30 days from the date of the event to change benefits.
- December 29 and after: Benefit changes due to life and family status changes will be handled through Workday.
- New Employee Benefit Elections
- The last day for new employees to elect benefits through HR Connection is midnight December 14.
- December 15 through December 28: New employees will need to contact HR Benefits (412-268-2047) and manually complete required paperwork to enroll in benefits. You have 30 days from the date of employment to enroll in benefits.
- December 29 and after: Benefit enrollment for new employees will be handled through Workday.
- Talent Management System (TMS)
- TMS will be transitioning to a frozen, read-only state on December 15, 2014 after 5 p.m. ET. All positions must be approved within TMS before this date and time in order to transition to Workday.
- On and after December 29, 2014, you will use Workday to manage positions.
- Please contact Recruiting & Staffing Services for more information and assistance during this transition.
- Professional Development Course Registration
- To prepare for the changes to Workday, Professional Development's Course Registration System will be in a read-only state after 5 p.m. December 15. If you need to make any changes to course registration between December 15, 2014 and January 15, 2015, please email Professional Development Services at email@example.com. More information about course registration will be coming soon.
To prepare for the launch of Workday, we encourage you to review training materials through My Workday Toolkit. Have a great Workday!
Reminder: Upcoming Holidays
Carnegie Mellon University is closed* and non-essential personnel are not expected to report to work on the following upcoming dates:
- Christmas Eve Day: Wednesday, December 24, 2014
- Christmas Day: Thursday, December 25, 2014
- New Year's Eve: Wednesday, December 31, 2014
- New Year's Day: Thursday, January 1, 2015
Read more about Holidays.
*International locations, such as Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar, may observe different holidays.