Carnegie Mellon University

Learn more about FAFSA Simplification changes, processing delays, and the current timeline.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Students applying for federal financial aid programs must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. We recommend visiting the Federal Student Aid website to learn about filing your FAFSA and for timely updates. 

Carnegie Mellon requests that students submit the FAFSA as soon as possible once it opens. This will allow us time to request any additional documentation, if needed, and it will support the timely delivery of financial aid offers. 

NEW FOR 2024-2025: Students and contributors (typically spouses for independent/graduate students) will need to create an FSA ID and provide approval for their Federal Tax Information (FTI) to be utilized for their FAFSA to be processed.  Those who don't already have an FSA ID may create one. Learn about more changes for 2024-2025