Eberly Center, OTE Merge Under Marsha Lovett
The following announcement is from Provost and Executive Vice Presdent Mark Kamlet and Vice Provost for Education Amy Burkert.
We are pleased to announce the merger of the Eberly Center for Teaching Excellence and the Office of Technology for Education. The new unit will be named the Eberly Center for Teaching Excellence and Educational Innovation and will be directed by Marsha Lovett.
As we look to the future of educational practice, the interface of pedagogy and technology is of growing significance. With expertise in both these areas, the combined unit is well positioned to support Carnegie Mellon faculty and graduate students’ current and emerging needs. As the center’s director, Marsha’s disciplinary training in cognitive science, her many connections to CMU faculty and departments, and her years of experience researching and applying educational technology make her especially well-suited to this expanded leadership role.
The Eberly Center in its new configuration will support CMU programs, faculty, and graduate students in the following areas of teaching, learning, and educational technology:
- Course design and re-design, including the planning of courses/programs online;
- Ongoing teaching support, including teaching with technology;
- Identifying effective educational technologies and designing learning experiences to meet teaching and learning needs;
- Incorporating new instructional strategies;
- Trouble-shooting teaching/learning problems;
- Applying learning science research to the current context;
- Offering faculty and graduate student workshops, including incoming faculty orientation;
- Collecting and disseminating best practices for education;
- Learning management system administration and support.
The Eberly Center will continue to work in close collaboration with the Open Learning Initiative, Academic Technology Services, faculty in the Learning Sciences and other related units on campus as we strive to advance our work at the interface of education and technology.
For more information, please visit the Eberly website at www.cmu.edu/teaching.
Amy L. Burkert
Vice Provost for Education
Mark S. Kamlet
Provost and Executive Vice President