Carnegie Mellon University

Diploma Authentication & Replacement

A diploma authentication is a notarized document providing a copy of the diploma and listing the student's name, degree and graduation date. Replacement diplomas are available through a partnership between the University Registrar's Office and Parchment (formerly Credentials Solutions).

The diploma authentication is a two-sided, notarized document providing a copy of the diploma and a signed authentication letter stating the student's name, degree and graduation date. The diploma authentication service costs $20 each.  The diploma authentication mailed either by USPS mail or UPS service.  To have a diploma authenticated:

  1. Submit a Diploma Authentication (pdf) form to the University Registrar's Office, Carnegie Mellon University, 5000 Forbes Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15213.
  2. Submit a  8 1/2" x 11" photocopy or scan of the original diploma to the University Registrar's Office. Photocopy must contain the official seal and signatures.  It must be a legible copy. If you are having problems photocopying your diploma, please visit a professional copy service.

Carnegie Mellon will provide a signed notarized letter of authentication on the reverse side of the diploma photocopy, and forward it to the specified address.

The University Registrar's Office has partnered with Parchment (formerly Credentials Solutions) to provide online ordering for replacement paper diplomas. To order a replacement diploma, please visit the Parchment website. You will need to create an account and authorization will be required to complete the order. If you graduated after 1990, please provide your Andrew ID in the Student ID field. There is a fee of $75 per diploma ordered. Express (UPS) delivery is also available at an additional charge for each diploma ordered. Please allow 6-8 weeks for processing and delivery.

Alumni seeking to change the name on a diploma must submit a Change of Name Request to the University Registrar’s Office. Documentation of the individual’s current legal name is required to update the name on these records. Alumni will be charged the standard rate for reprinting a diploma. More information is available on the Post-Graduation Name Change Requests webpage.