Foreign Nationals Working in the United States-HR @ Carnegie Mellon University - Carnegie Mellon University

Foreign Nationals Working in the United States

For those entering the United States to work or study at Carnegie Mellon, the primary source of support and information is the Office of International Education (OIE). OIE's Foreign Scholars Information Directory contains information about:

  • coming to Carnegie Mellon,
  • J-1 and H-1B Visas and other work Visa categories,
  • travel advice,
  • leaving Carnegie Mellon, and
  • other information (such as immigration services or getting a social security number or driver's license).

The OIE website also has information about families and dependents, and many other useful resources.

When hiring foreign nationals with H-1B visas, managers should see the Wage Determination Packet [doc].