Carnegie Mellon University
The university has many great resources available to you. The information below ranges from food and fitness to writing and teaching support to social activities.

Food Options, Hours, and Locations

There are more than 30 food options across campus, including coffee shops, restaurants, and a convenience store. Food options include global cuisines such as Indian, Pan-Asian, Mexican, and Mediterranean food; healthy options like fresh vegetables, lean proteins, and seasonal fruits, as well as eateries dedicated to vegan and vegetarian meals, smoothies, and build-your-own salads; and late night indulgences like pizza and wings.

For a complete list of dining options, including locations and hours of operation, visit the Dining Services website.

Meal Plans

There are two types of mean plans available to graduate students: traditional or community plans. The plans allow you to buy a specific number of meals per week or semester and also include a dollar amount for additional purchases. Meals (called "blocks," which include an entrée, side, and beverage) are available for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or late night snacking. Dollar amounts (called "flex dollars") can be used at any time.

Meal plans will be charged to your student account each semester. Once you've signed up, you can pay for meals using your student ID. If you don't want to purchase a meal plan, you can still buy food on campus using cash, credit cards, or by adding money to your student ID (Plaid Cash, which can also be used for textbooks or campus printers).

For specific details about meal plans or to sign up for a plan, visit the Dining Services website.

Global Communication Center

The Global Communication Center (GCC) provides free communication instruction and support through one-on-one tutoring and campus workshops. GCC staff is experienced in a wide range of academic and professional genres, from the sciences to the humanities, and work with students at all levels, whether English is your native language or your second or third tongue.

The GCC offers support for your written, oral, or visual projects. Students visit the center for help with course papers or journal articles, dissertation or Masters proposals and theses, technical reports, grant proposals, conference or PowerPoint presentations, research posters, and job or graduate school application materials.

For online resources or to schedule a one-on-one tutoring appointment, visit the Global Communication Center website.

Intercultural Communication Center

The ICC provides support to help nonnative English speakers improve the language and cultural skills needed to succeed in their academic programs. The ICC also helps international teaching assistants develop the skills they need to provide effective instruction in the U.S.

For information on classes, workshops, and seminars, visit the Intercultural Communication Center website.

Eberly Center for Teaching Excellence and Educational Innovation

The Eberly Center brings pedagogical and technological issues together to support Carnegie Mellon faculty and graduate students in their roles as educators. The Eberly Center can help you design and teach a course, use technology effectively in your classroom, and develop sound practices to assess teaching and learning. For graduate students interested in a faculty career, the Eberly Center also provides information on developing a teaching portfolio and offers numerous workshops and seminars as part of the Future Faculty Program.

For more information, visit the Eberly Center website.

University Health Services

University Health Services provides primary medical care and health promotion services, including allergy and flu shots, physical exams, sexual health screening (sexually transmitted infection testing & counseling, pregnancy tests, etc.), and women's health services. They also provide nutrition therapy and education, alcohol/drug assessment and referral, quit smoking support, and stress management consultation. If you have a valid prescription on record with Health Services, you can request a refill online.

For more information on university medical services or to schedule an appointment, visit the University Health Services website.

Counseling and Psychological Services

Counseling and Psychological Services (CaPS) addresses the mental health needs of the CMU community through a variety of services. CaPS provides a safe, confidential environment to talk about personal or academic concerns and assists students who need to connect with mental health resources in the community.

All counseling center services are provided at no cost. For an appointment, call during regular office hours. For crisis support, the CaPS phone is answered 24/7.

CaPS – 412-268-2922

For more information about support services available to you, visit the Counseling and Psychological Services website.

Disability Resources

The Office of Disability Resources provides physical and programmatic campus access to all events and information within the Carnegie Mellon community. The office works to ensure that qualified individuals receive reasonable accommodations as guaranteed by the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

To learn more about student accommodations, or to submit an initial request for accommodation, contact the Office of Disability Resources.

Fitness and Wellness

If you want to exercise, the university has you covered. From group exercise to free weights to basketball and volleyball courts, numerous options are available to keep you moving, in shape, and stress free. Your student ID grants you access to all fitness facilities on campus, but some facilities may require a reservation (e.g., tennis or racquetball courts) and some fitness classes require you to buy a pass (e.g., Group-X classes are $6 each; 12 passes cost $50).

  • Group exercise (Group-X) classes are available in the Cohon University Center. The current schedule offers 30 to 35 weekly classes in fitness (e.g., Zumba, kettle bell, HIIT (high intensity interval training), strength training, indoor cycling, yoga, combination strength and cardio classes, kickboxing, and multiple dance and other forms of fitness classes). Watch for an email from the Graduate Student Assembly, which frequently offers discounted Group-X passes to graduate students!
  • If you prefer to workout alone but are unsure of where to begin, the Department of Athletics offers personal training services.
  • The Cohon University Center and Skibo Gymnasium offer weight rooms and recreation courts for badminton, basketball, volleyball, squash, and racquetball. The Cohon University Center also has a 25-yard lap pool and a full diving pool with multiple diving boards. For more detailed information about what is available at each location, visit the Fitness Facilities page.

Student Organizations on Campus

There are as many ways to get involved at Carnegie Mellon as there are graduate degree programs. The university is home to 280+ student-run organizations recognized by Student Government. Groups span a wide variety of interests and passions representing religious/spiritual, community service/philanthropy, student government, media/publications, club sports/martial arts, professional/academic, political/activism, gender/LGBT, performance/artistic, gaming, technology, and general interest opportunities.

To browse student organizations and events happening on and off campus, please visit The Bridge.

If you don't see the type of organization you are looking for, you can start a new organization.

Graduate Student Assembly

The Graduate Student Assembly (GSA) is the branch of student government that represents all graduate students at Carnegie Mellon. Funding for the GSA comes from graduate students' student activities fees.

GSA has several primary functions: organizing social events throughout the year, advocating on issues important to graduate students, and providing funding for graduate organizations and professional development.

Keep an eye out for emails from your departmental representative with information about GSA events and initiatives. You can also like GSA on Facebook or follow GSA on Twitter for updates (and the occasional bad joke).

Have a concern? Contact the GSA Executive Committee.