Carnegie Mellon University

Now that you've decided to attend Carnegie Mellon, follow the steps below to prepare for your arrival on campus. You should be able to complete these steps from home. If you have any questions, contact the Graduate Education Office or consult the Deadlines for Incoming Students page.

Your Andrew User ID provides you with the ability to access the university's computing services such as Student Information Online, the computing clusters and your Andrew email account. You will also need your Andrew ID and password to submit your health history and immunization forms, enroll in student health insurance, register for classes, and apply for temporary or permanent university housing.

**Tepper MBA Students please consult the Tepper Countdown Web site for more information about your Tepper Email Accounts.

You should expect to receive an email from Computing Services with the subject line "Receive your Andrew userID". The email will contain a link for retrieving your Andrew userID and instructions for continuing the First Pass process to set your initial password.

To receive your Andrew userID and set your initial password:

  1. Follow the link in the email you receive from Computing Services (
    Note: The link is unique and can only be used once. Be sure to visit the web page before the expiration date stated in the email.
  2. Follow the on screen First Pass instructions to receive your Andrew userID. Write down your Andrew userID; you will only see it once and you will need it to set your password.
  3. Once you have received your Andrew userID, a confirmation page will be displayed.
  4. You will receive another email with instructions on how to set a permanent password. 

Your Andrew email account is your source for official and important Carnegie Mellon communications. Please check it frequently before you arrive on campus and during your academic career. If you choose to use an alternate email address (i.e., Hotmail, Gmail, etc.), then you should forward your Andrew email to your preferred email address to ensure that you receive all official university communications.

University-wide Graduate Student Orientation
The Carnegie Mellon University-wide Graduate Student Orientation takes place every fall and spring to provide an introduction to university-level services, programs, and resources for graduate students. Attendance is highly recommended. All events and sessions are free of charge.  To be able to attend, you must register. Check HERE for complete program information.
**Tepper MBA Students: please consult the Tepper Countdown Web site for more information about the Tepper Base Camp Program.

International Graduate Student Orientation
International students are required to attend an additional orientation hosted by the Office of International Education (OIE). Contact OIE for details.

Department Graduate Student Orientation
Each department on campus hosts its own graduate student orientation. Dates vary, so watch for an email from your department about when your orientation will be held.

The university offers a student medical insurance plan, as well as optional dental and vision insurance. In addition to individual medical, dental, and vision insurance, the university offers two-person (yourself and one other family member) and family plans (yourself and at least two other family members).

For questions about student health insurance, contact Health Services.

  • All full-time students must have medical insurance that meets the university's student health insurance requirements
    Many international health insurance plans do not meet the university's requirements. If you have your own health insurance, a policy from another country, or are covered by your parents' policy, consult with Health Services to ensure that your current plan meets the university's requirements.

Enrollment and waiver forms, cost and benefit summaries, and information for enrolling dependents can be found on the University Health Services website.

For complete information about what service are available with the student health plan (called "benefits"), review the benefit summary guide.

Insurance fees will appear on your first semester invoice. You have the option to pay your insurance premium costs in monthly increments. For more information, visit

All incoming students are required to submit health history and immunization forms.

For questions about health history and immunization requirements, contact Health Services.

You must also complete an online tuberculosis (TB) screening form, followed by TB testing, if indicated. You can access immunization and TB forms on the University Health Services website.

All full-time students are required to have the following immunizations:

  • Hepatitis B
  • Measles, Mumps & Rubella (MMR)
  • Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis (Tdap)
  • Varicella (Chickenpox)
  • Tuberculosis screening questionnaire

Additional requirements for students living in university housing:

  • Meningococcal

Health Services also recommends the following immunizations for all students:

  • Hepatitis A - Especially for those travelling internationally
  • Human Papilloma Virus (HPV2 or HPV4)
  • Polio
  • Meningococcal B - recommended for members of high risk groups; consult with your medical provider regarding need
  • Pneumococcal - recommended for members of high risk groups; consult with your medical provider regarding need

For more information and instructions, download the Graduate Health and Immunization Guide [pdf].

Find easy-to-read vaccine information in many languages at the Immunization Action Coalition.

Along with the offer of admission you will receive the required forms that all international students must complete in order to receive their Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019) from Carnegie Mellon.

Complete and return:

  1. The International Student Information Form
  2. Affidavit of Financial Support along with original supporting financial documents
  3. Copy of passport identification page(s)

U.S. government regulations require that in order to qualify for non-immigrant student status, you must prove the availability of sufficient funding to meet your expenses for your first year of study and have a reasonable expectation that the same level of support will be available in subsequent years. Therefore, you should consider how you will fund your studies for the entire length of your program.

For more information on supporting documentation and to access relevant forms, visit the Office of International Education.

Although we recommend waiting to sign a lease until you have had a chance to view an apartment in person, we realize that this is not always an option for incoming students, particularly if you are moving from another state or country. In those cases, you should at least ask a friend (or a kind graduate student in your department) to view the apartment on your behalf.

For more information on Pittsburgh neighborhoods, finding an apartment, or signing a lease, visit the Finding Off-Campus Housing page.

If you have not secured permanent housing for the upcoming academic year, there are temporary housing options available that will provide you with a place to stay while you search for a permanent apartment.

For information on temporary housing accommodations, view the Temporary On-Campus Housing and Hotel Accommodations sections on the Travel Arrangements and Tips page.

Newly admitted international students often ask for advice on how to best improve academic English before beginning their programs at CMU. Visit ICC Language Training information page for some techniques that have worked for many international students currently at the university.