We are not accepting applications to our Ph.D. program for Fall 2021. This includes the joint programs.
Our next application cycle will be for Fall 2022. These applications will be available in September 2021.
Graduate Program Overview
The Social and Decision Sciences doctoral program emphasizes
multi-disciplinary approaches to complex problems.
One hallmark of the program is that it is research-centered. The small size of the program makes it possible for students to work closely with its internationally distinguished faculty on diverse projects and to engage in research at the outset. A second hallmark of the program is its flexibility.
Although there are core requirements for all students, the program is designed to make it easy to combine interests in several academic areas.
SDS offers six areas of focus for its Ph.D. program:
- Behavioral Decision Research
- Social and Decision Sciences
- Behavioral Marketing and Decision Research (Joint with the Tepper School of Business)
- Behavioral Economics (Joint with the Tepper School of Business)
- Psychology and Behavioral Decision Research (Joint with the Department of Psychology)
- Medical Scientist Training Program MD-PhD (Joint with the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine)
Students may also create an individually tailored program.
Each of the doctoral fields of study
To reach precandidacy, students must:
- Complete a minimum of twelve Ph.D. level courses, including four courses in methodology;
- Attend the first two semesters of the Social and Decision Sciences Ph.D. seminar, which is not counted as part of the above twelve courses;
- Complete a research paper by May of the second year (maximum 27 months);
- Qualifying exams due by January of the third year, but more typically by
beginningof August of the second year (maximum 29 months);
proposaldue by beginningof August of the fourth year (maximum 48 months).
If you have general questions about the SDS Graduate programs, our application page includes several "frequently asked questions." You may also send your questions via email, to the appropriate contact found on the right.