Mail Order/Maintenance Medication
Maintenance medications are drugs prescribed for long-term conditions and are taken on a regular, recurring basis. Caremark provides a mail order service for maintenance drugs. Mail order service prescriptions are 90-day supplies for the cost of a 60-day supply. (See Mail Order Copays.) You can place a mail order request online or by mail. Participants can also utilize the Caremark Maintenance Choice program and receive 90-day supplies of their maintenance drugs at mail order rates when filled at CVS or Target pharmacies.
If you need more than three fills of the same prescription, you are required to transition to a 90-day supply and fill the prescriptions through either mail order services or CVS or Target pharmacies utilizing Caremark Maintenance Choice. If you would like to continue to receive 30-day supplies at a retail pharmacy, you will need to contact Caremark to opt-out of the Maintenance Program.
Getting Started with Mail Order or Maintenance Choice
To get started with the Caremark Mail Order service:
- Enroll in Caremark Mail Service by logging in to the Caremark website. Select "Start a New Prescription" and then click on “FastStart®.” To enroll by phone, call FastStart® at 800-875-0867.
- Send your original 90-day prescriptions to Caremark Mail Service, P. O. Box 2110, Pittsburgh, PA 15230-2110 using the Caremark Mail Service Order Form [pdf]. Pay for your prescriptions by credit card, or by check or money order (if mailing an order). Your medications will be delivered free to your home within 10–14 days.
- Refills can be ordered online, by phone, or by mail. You can also sign up for the e-refill reminder program to get convenient email notices when it’s time to refill or renew a prescription.
To get your prescriptions filled at a local CVS or Target pharmacy:
- You have three options to register for the program:
- Register or log into the Caremark website to select a CVS or Target pharmacy location for pick-up
- Visit your local CVS or Target pharmacy and talk to the pharmacist
- Call Caremark at 877-347-7444
- Bring your original 90-day prescription to your local CVS or Target pharmacy and have it filled like a retail prescription. You will be charged the mail order copay.
- Refill your prescription by calling the local CVS or Target pharmacy refill line or by stopping into the pharmacy in person.
Tips for Writing Prescriptions for Maintenance Medications
- Mail order should be used when you need more than a two-month supply.
- Write the prescription for a 90-day supply, NOT a 30-day supply.
- Prescription should be signed and legible.
- One prescription per sheet.
- Allow one to two weeks for new prescriptions; refills generally take less time.
- If you need to start taking the medication right away, call CVS/Caremark to get a bridge supply (see right) or ask your doctor for samples.