Mail Order/Maintenance Meds
Caremark Maintenance Medication Prescription Plan
The Caremark Maintenance Medication Prescription Plan (CMPP) applies to maintenance medications taken on an ongoing basis. If you purchase 30-day supplies of your maintenance prescriptions at a retail pharmacy, an additional charge will apply after the third monthly fill of the same maintenance drug at a retail pharmacy. You will be charged the retail copays for your supply PLUS the difference between the retail and the mail order price of the prescription.
Avoid the Penalty: 90-Day Supplies Via Caremark Maintenance Choice or Mail Order
Caremark's Maintenance Choice program [pdf] allows you to purchase your medications at a lower copay, without the MMPP penalty, through Mail Order Service or from a retail CVS/pharmacy. For the cost of a 60-day supply, you can get up to 90 days worth of the medication. (See Mail Order Copays.) Order refills only four times a year via the telephone, Internet, mail or FAX, or at your local retail CVS/pharmacy.
To get started with the Caremark Mail Order service:
- Enroll in Caremark Mail Service by logging in to the Caremark website. Select "Start a New Prescription" and then click on “FastStart®.” To enroll by phone, call FastStart® at 800-875-0867.
- Send your original 90-day prescriptions to Caremark Mail Service, P. O. Box 2110, Pittsburgh, PA 15230-2110 using the Caremark Mail Service Order Form [pdf]. Pay for your prescriptions by credit card, or by check or money order (if mailing an order). Your medications will be delivered free to your home within 10–14 days.
- Refills can be ordered online, by phone, or by mail. You can also sign up for the e-refill reminder program to get convenient email notices when it’s time to refill or renew a prescription.
To use Caremark Maintenance Choice to get your prescriptions filled at a local CVS/pharmacy:
- You have three options to register for the program:
- Register or log into the Caremark website to select a CVS/pharmacy location for pick-up
- Visit your local CVS/pharmacy and talk to the pharmacist
- Call Caremark at 877-347-7444
- Bring your original 90-day prescription to your local CVS/pharmacy and have it filled like a retail prescription. You will be charged the mail order copay and will not incur the MMPP penalty.
- Refill your prescription by calling the local CVS/pharmacy refill line or by stopping into the pharmacy in person.
Tips for Writing Prescriptions for Mail Order
- Mail order should be used when you need more than a two-month supply.
- Write the prescription for a 90-day supply, NOT a 30-day supply.
- Prescription should be signed and legible.
- One prescription per sheet.
- Allow one to two weeks for new prescriptions; refills generally take less time.
- If you need to start taking the medication right away, call CVS/Caremark to get a bridge supply (see right) or ask your doctor for samples.