Submitting Claims to BCC-HR @ Carnegie Mellon University - Carnegie Mellon University

Submitting Claims to BCC

Claims incurred during the plan year should be submitted to Benefit Coordinators Corporation (BCC) using the claims procedure described below and must be received by June 30 following the end of the plan year. For the Health Care Flexible Spending Account (HCFSA), the plan year is the calendar year plus a two-and-a-half month grace period (for example, from January 1, 2017–March 15, 2018). For the Dependent Care Reimbursement Account (DCRA), the plan year is the calendar year.

No-Claim Payments: FSA Debit Card

HCFSA and DCRA participants can use a BCC MasterCard Debit Card to pay for eligible expenses. Use it just like a credit/debit card at any provider or store who accepts this form of payment. Using the card eliminates the need to pay for expenses out of pocket and submit claims for reimbursement. In some cases, supporting documentation will still be required, so keep receipts and explanation of benefit forms. If documentation is needed to substantiate your expense, you will be notified by BCC.

The card is easy to use:

  1. If the provider or store accepts debit/credit cards for payment, simply use the card to pay for the expense like you would with any other debit/credit card. 
  2. If you are purchasing items from larger, chain stores (Giant Eagle, Target, Wal-Mart, etc.), swipe the card at the register, even at self-checkout stations.
  3. If you have non-FSA eligible items (like clothing or groceries), along with eligible items (like medications or contact lens solution), just swipe the FSA debit card first. The system knows which expenses are eligible and will pay for only those. It will ask you for another form of payment for the rest of your purchase.
  4. Your card will be preloaded with your annual HCFSA election, and/or with each pay with your DCRA contribution. Expenses will be automatically deducted as you use the card.
  5. Access to check balances and claims.

Submitting Manual Claims for DCRA or HCFSA Expenses

When you can't or don't use the FSA debit card, you must pay for the expense from your own pocket and then submit a claim for reimbursement.

  1. Complete BCC’s Reimbursement Request Form [pdf].
  2. Attach the required back-up documents.
    • For Health Care Reimbursement, attach an Explanation of Benefits statement from your insurance carrier plus an itemized receipt from the provider.
      • You must first submit expenses to your healthcare, dental or vision insurance carrier before you can request a reimbursement from a Flexible Spending Account Plan. The insurance carrier will process the claim and issue an Explanation of Benefits that shows how much is paid under the terms of your plan and how much is your responsibility.
      • By law, BCC cannot accept a credit card receipt or a canceled check in lieu of the itemized receipt from your doctor, lab, pharmacy, etc.
    • For Dependent Care Reimbursement, attach a signed receipt from the daycare provider that includes:
      • the dates services were rendered,
      • the provider’s Social Security or tax ID number,
      • the provider’s address.
  3. Send your completed Reimbursement Request Form and the appropriate back-up documents to:
    Benefit Coordinators Corporation
  4. BCC will process your claim and issue a check that is mailed to your home address. You may also request the direct deposit option.

claims information

View claims forms and carrier contact information on the Spending Accounts page.