Carnegie Mellon University

University, Federal & State Grants

Grant assistance is awarded on the basis of demonstrated financial need. Students do not need to work for or repay grants. Grants are commonly referred to as "gift aid."

Carnegie Mellon Undergraduate Grant

A Carnegie Mellon Undergraduate Grant is awarded by Carnegie Mellon to incoming students who have financial need. Students who complete and submit the following financial aid documents are considered for this grant: FAFSA, CSS PROFILE, signed copies of student and parent Federal Income Tax Returns, IRS Tax Return Transcripts (if required), student and parent W-2 Wage and Tax Statements, Partnership Schedule K-1 from Form 1065 (if required), and/or IRS Form 2555 (Foreign Earned Income) (if required).

Dependents of Carnegie Mellon employees who qualify for tuition remission are not eligible for a Carnegie Mellon Undergraduate Grant. 

Federal & State Grants

Federal Pell Grant

A Federal Pell Grant is awarded by the federal government to students with high financial need. Students who are eligible for a Federal Pell Grant after their aid package is determined, will notice a dollar-for-dollar reduction to their Carnegie Mellon need-based grant funds.

Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

A Federal SEOG is for undergraduate students who have exceptional financial need. Carnegie Mellon usually awards these grants to students who receive a Federal Pell Grant. If there is a change in Federal SEOG eligibility, a dollar-for-dollar adjustment to the student's Carnegie Mellon need-based grant funds will occur.

State Grants

Some states provide educational grants to their residents who demonstrate need. If you are eligible for grant assistance from your state but you do not apply, Carnegie Mellon cannot provide additional grant assistance to replace state grant funding.

Pennsylvania residents who do not apply by May 1 for Pennsylvania State Grant assistance, will see that their eligibility for the Carnegie Mellon Undergraduate Grant is reduced by $500 if they would have been eligible for a PHEAA State Grant. This is the amount of institutional grant assistance Carnegie Mellon receives from the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA) for each eligible student.

Students who are awarded state grants after their financial aid packages are determined, will notice a dollar-for-dollar reduction to their Carnegie Mellon need-based grant funds.