Global Learning XPRIZE
What is the Global Learning XPRIZE?
The Global Learning XPRIZE is a $15M competition to develop an open-source Android tablet app that enables children ages 7-10 without access to formal education to learn basic reading, writing, and arithmetic without adult assistance.
- April 2015: 198 teams from 40 countries registered.
- January 2017: 38 teams from 17 countries on 6 continents submitted English & Swahili apps.
- April 2017: XPRIZE judges chose 11 Semifinalists, including RoboTutor.
- May 2017: XPRIZE pilot-tested Semifinalists' Swahili apps on local children outside Dar Es Salaam.
- June 2017: Semifinalists presented to the international panel of judges who will pick up to five $1M Finalists.
- September 2017: XPRIZE names RoboTutor as one of five $1M Finalists.
- 2017-2018: XPRIZE will conduct an independent controlled evaluation of the Finalists' Swahili apps with 4000 children in nearly 200 villages in Tanzania, pre- and posttesting each child individually.
- 2019: XPRIZE will award $10M Grand Prize to the team whose app achieves the highest total learning gains, counting reading 60%, writing 10%, and numeracy 30%.