We are proud to celebrate our newest graduates during this year’s commencement exercises!
Main Commencement Ceremony
- Bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree candidates and their guests are invited to join the main commencement ceremony on Sunday, May 12, for the conferral of all degrees.
- The main ceremony will include remarks from the president, keynote speaker, student speaker and academic deans, in addition to recognition of the honorary degree recipients.
- There is no limit on number of guests who can attend the main commencement ceremony and tickets are not needed.
- The ceremony will take place on CMU’s campus beginning at 10 a.m. and will be approximately 1.5 hours long. All guests must be seated by 9:15 a.m. for the start of the student procession. Access to guest seating will be restricted once the student procession begins.
- In addition to the main commencement ceremony, each college/school/department will host a diploma ceremony to recognize all graduating students. Diploma ceremonies will be held over the course of the weekend (Friday, May 10–Sunday, May 12).
- Diploma ceremonies will include the presentation of diplomas to graduates, hooding of doctoral candidates and remarks from their college/school/department leadership. Each ceremony is organized and customized by their college/school/department.
- Diploma ceremonies will take place both on and off campus. Locations and times for diploma ceremonies will be provided soon.
- Diploma ceremonies typically include a reception and the length of time for each ceremony varies based on the number of graduates.
More details on the weekend schedule, including a diploma ceremony schedule, will be provided in the coming weeks.
Thursday, May 9
Phi Beta Kappa Initiation Ceremony
Ceremony: 2–3 p.m.
McConomy Auditorium, Cohon University Center
Reception: 3–4 p.m.
Connan Room, Cohon University Center
President's Graduates Toast (bachelor's students)
Registration required. Invitation, along with registration details, will be sent in late April.
First Gen Graduation Recognition
Reception: 5-5:30 p.m.
Alumni Concert Hall, College of Fine Arts
Kresge Theater, College of Fine Arts
M. Shernell Smith
Friday, May 10
Senior Leadership Recognition Ceremony
Wiegand Gym, Cohon University Center
Undergraduate students and their guests by invitation only. This ceremony recognizes nominated seniors who have reflected upon their specific leadership contributions during their time at CMU.
Saturday, May 11
Center for Student Diversity and Inclusion Ceremony
Reception: 12:30 p.m.
Program: 1-2:15 p.m.
Simmons Auditorium, Tepper Building
M. Shernell Smith
Ceremony: 1:30-2:30 p.m.
Auditorium, Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall & Museum *
4141 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213
The President’s Reception in honor of CMU’s Doctoral Candidates
Tepper Building Atrium
Sunday, May 12
Gesling Stadium opens to guests
Robing and procession for graduates
Various locations across campus
Student procession begins
All guests in stadium must be seated. Access to guest seating will be restricted once the procession begins.
Gesling Stadium, CMU’s campus