Yongjie (Jessica) Zhang
Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering
Courtesy Appointment, Biomedical Engineering
5000 Forbes Avenue
Scaife Hall 318
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
5000 Forbes Avenue
Scaife Hall 318
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
BioProfessor Zhang is an Associate Professor in Mechanical Engineering at Carnegie Mellon University with a courtesy appointment in Biomedical Engineering. She received her B.Eng. in Automotive Engineering, and M.Eng. in Engineering Mechanics, all from Tsinghua University, China; and her M.Eng. in Aerospace Engineering and Engineering Mechanics, and Ph.D. in Computational Engineering and Sciences from the University of Texas at Austin. Her research interests include computational geometry, mesh generation, computer graphics, visualization, finite element method, isogeometric analysis and their application in computational biomedicine and engineering. Researchers in Professor Zhang's group develop novel algorithms on biomodeling at molecular, cellular, tissue and organ scales, and explore applications in various application fields. She has co-authored over 100 publications in peer-reviewed international journals and conference proceedings. She is the recipient of the Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers, the NSF CAREER Award, the Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Award, the USACM Gallagher Young Investigator Award, the George Tallman Ladd Research Award, and is a Donald L. & Rhonda Struminger Faculty Fellow.
B.S. 1996, M.S. 1999, Tsinghua University, China
M.S. 2002, Ph.D. 2005, The University of Texas at Austin
- T. Liao, Y. Zhang, P. M. Kekenes-Huskey, Y. Cheng, A. Michailova, A. D. McCulloch, M. Holst, J. A. McCammon. Multi-core CPU or GPU-accelerated Multiscale Modeling for Biomolecular Complexes. Molecular Based Mathematical Biology, accepted, 2013.
- Q. Pan, G. Xu, Y. Zhang. A Unified Method for Hybrid Subdivision Surface Design Using Geometric Partial Differential Equations. A Special Issue of Solid and Physical Modeling 2013 in Computer Aided Design, accepted, 2013.
- X. Liang, Y. Zhang. An Octree-based Dual Contouring Method for Triangular and Tetrahedral Mesh Generation with Guaranteed Angle Range. Engineering with Computers, accepted, 2013.
- J. Leng, Y. Zhang, G. Xu. A Novel Geometric Flow-Driven Approach for Quality Improvement of Segmented Tetrahedral Meshes. Computer-Aided Design, 45(10):1182-1197, 2013.
- J. Leng, G. Xu, Y. Zhang. Medical Image Interpolation Based on Multi-resolution Registration. Computers and Mathematics with Applications, 66(1):1-18, 2013.
- Y. Zhang, W. Wang, T. J.R. Hughes. Conformal Solid T-spline Construction from Boundary T-spline Representations. Computational Mechanics, 51(6):1051-1059, 2013.
- S. S. Hossain, Y. Zhang, X. Liang, F. Hussain, M. Ferrari, T. J.R. Hughes, P. Decuzzi. in silico Vascular Modeling for Personalized Nanoparticle Delivery. Nanomedicine, 8(3):343-357, 2013.
- W. Wang, Y. Zhang, L. Liu, T. J.R. Hughes. Trivariate Solid T-spline Construction from Boundary Triangulations with Arbitrary Genus Topology. A Special Issue of Solid and Physical Modeling 2012 in Computer Aided Design, 45(2):351-360, 2013.
- Y. Zhang, Y. Jing, X. Liang, G. Xu, L. Dong. Dynamic Lung Modeling and Tumor Tracking Using Deformable Image Registration and Geometric Smoothing. Molecular & Cellular Biomechanics, 9(3):213-226, 2012.
- Y. Zhang, J. Qian. Resolving Topology Ambiguity for Multiple-Material Domains. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 247-248:166-178, 2012.
- J. Levine, R. Paulsen, Y. Zhang. Mesh Processing in Medical Image Analysis – a Tutorial. IEEE Computer Graphics & Applications Special Issue on Biomedical Applications: From Data Capture to Modeling, 32(5):22-28, 2012.
- Y. Zhang, X. Liang, J. Ma, Y. Jing, M. J. Gonzales, C. Villongco, A. Krishnamurthy, L. R. Frank, P. Stark, S. M. Narayan, A. McCulloch. An Atlas-Based Geometry Pipeline for Cardiac Hermite Model Construction and Diffusion Tensor Reorientation. Medical Image Analysis, 16(6):1130-1141, 2012.
- Y. Zhang, W. Wang, T. J.R. Hughes. Solid T-spline Construction from Boundary Representations for Genus-Zero Geometry. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering (CMAME) HOFEIM Special Issue, 249-252:185-197, 2012.
- Y. Zhang, J. Qian. Dual Contouring for Domains with Topology Ambiguity. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering (CMAME), 217-220:34-45, 2012.
- W. Wang, Y. Zhang, G. Xu, T. J.R. Hughes. Converting an Unstructured Quadrilateral/Hexahedral Mesh to a Rational T-Spline. Computational Mechanics, 50(1):65-84, 2012.
- J. Qian, Y. Zhang. Automatic Unstructured All-Hexahedral Mesh Generation from B-Reps for Non-Manifold CAD Assemblies. Engineering with Computers, 28(4):345-359, 2012.
- W. Wang, Y. Zhang, M. A. Scott, T. J.R. Hughes. Converting an Unstructured Quadrilateral Mesh to a Standard T-Spline Surface. Computational Mechanics, 48(4):477-498, 2011.
- E. Johnson, Y. Zhang, K. Shimada. Estimating an Equivalent Wall-Thickness of a Cerebral Aneurysm through Surface Parameterization and a Non-linear Spring System. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering, 27(7):1054-1072, 2011.
- J. Qian, Y. Zhang, W. Wang, A. C. Lewis, M.A. S. Qidwai, A. B. Geltmacher. Quality Improvement of Non-Manifold Hexahedral Meshes for Critical Feature Determination of Microstructure Materials. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 82(11):1406-1423, 2010.
- Y. Zhang, T. J.R. Hughes, C. L. Bajaj. An Automatic 3D Mesh Generation Method for Domains with Multiple Materials. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering (CMAME), 199(5-8):405-415, 2010.
- Y. Bazilevs, J. R. Gohean, T. J.R. Hughes, R. D. Moser, Y. Zhang. Patient-Specific Isogeometric Fluid-Structure Interaction Analysis of Thoracic Aortic Blood Flow due to Implantation of the Jarvik 2000 Left Ventricular Assist Device. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering (CMAME) special issue on Models and Methods in Computational Vascular and Cardiovascular Mechanics, 198(45-46):3534-3550, 2009.
- Y. Zhang, C. L. Bajaj, G. Xu. Surface Smoothing and Quality Improvement of Quadrilateral/Hexahedral Meshes with Geometric Flow. The special issue of the Journal Communications in Numerical Methods in Engineering (CNME), 25(1):1-18, 2009.
- Y. Bazilevs, V. M. Calo, T. J.R. Hughes, Y. Zhang. Isogeometric Fluid-Structure Interaction: Theory, Algorithms and Computations. Computational Mechanics, 43(1):3-37. 2008.
- Y. Zhang, Y. Bazilevs, S. Goswami, C. Bajaj, T. J.R. Hughes. Patient-Specific Vascular NURBS Modeling for Isogeometric Analysis of Blood Flow. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering (CMAME). 196(29-30):2943-2959, 2007.
- Y. Zhang, G. Xu, C. Bajaj. Quality Meshing of Implicit Solvation Models of Biomolecular Structures. The special issue of Computer Aided Geometric Design (CAGD) on Applications of Geometric Modeling in the Life Sciences, 23(6):510-530, 2006.
- W. K. Liu, Y. Liu, D. Farrell, L. Zhang, X. Wang, Y. Fukui, N. Patankar, Y. Zhang, C. L. Bajaj, J. Lee, J. Hong, X. Chen, H. Hsu. Immersed Finite Element Method and Its Applications to Biological Systems. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering (CMAME), 195(13-16):1722-1749, 2006.
- Y. Zhang, C. Bajaj. Adaptive and Quality Quadrilateral/Hexahedral Meshing from Volumetric Data. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering (CMAME), 195(9-12):942-960, 2006.
- Y. Zhang, C. Bajaj, B-S. Sohn. 3D Finite Element Meshing from Imaging Data. The special issue of Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering (CMAME) on Unstructured Mesh Generation, 194(48-49):5083-5106, 2005.