Adjunct Professor, Mechanical Engineering
5000 Forbes Avenue
Scaife Hall 401
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
5000 Forbes Avenue
Scaife Hall 401
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
BioDr. Massoudi has been a full time researcher at the Department of Energy in Pittsburgh since 1988. He has also taught at University of Pittsburgh, University of Maryland and is currently also an Adjunct Professor at the Biomedical Engineering Department at CMU. He teaches graduate courses on Mechanics of Complex Fluids and Continuum Biomechanics. He is the author or co-author of more than 150 technical papers and reports. A Fellow of ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers), he has co-edited three books on the recent advances in structured continua.
EducationB.S. 1979, Mechanical Engineering, University of Pittsburgh
M.S. 1981, Mechanical Engineering, University of Pittsburgh
Ph.D. 1986, Mechanical Engineering, University of Pittsburgh
ResearchFluid dynamics and heat transfer, with application to multi-component flows, and non-Newtonian fluids. Application of the theory of interacting continua (Mixture Theory) to various problems such as fluidized beds, slurry flows, diffusion, granular materials, and flow through porous media. Mechanics of complex fluids. Biomechanics. Turbulence modeling.
Selected Publications since 2009
- P. Wang and M. Massoudi. Slag Behavior in Gasifiers, Part I: Influence of Coal Properties and Gasification Conditions. Energies, Vol. 6 (2013), pp. 784-806.
- M. Massoudi and P. Wang. Slag Behavior in Gasifiers, Part II: Constitutive Modeling of Slag. Energies, Vol. 6 (2013), pp. 807-838.
- H. Yang, N. Aubry, and M. Massoudi. Heat transfer in granular materials: Effects of non-linear heat conduction and viscous dissipation. Mathematical Methods in the Applied Sciences, 2013 (wileyonlinelibrary.com) DOI: 10.1002/mma.2740.
- W.T. Wu, N. Aubry, and M. Massoudi. Flow of granular materials modeled as a non-linear fluid. Mechanics Research Communications, (2013), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.mechrescom.2013.06.008
- M. Massoudi, G. Sanchez, and A. Vaidya. An Engineering Approach to Pipeline Transport of Biomass. Bull. N.J. Acad. Sci., Vol. 57(2012), pp. 9–11. The New Jersey Academy of Science.
- H. Yang, N. Aubry, and M. Massoudi. Numerical study of a non-linear model for the heat flux vector for granular materials, ASME Paper Number IMECE2012-86965, New York: American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2012.
- W. T. Wu, N. Aubry, and M. Massoudi. Flow of granular materials modeled as a generalized Reiner-Rivlin type fluid, ASME Paper Number IMECE2012-86957, 2012.
- M. Massoudi, J. Kim, and J. F. Antaki. Modeling and numerical simulation of blood flow using the Theory of Interacting Continua. International Journal of non-Linear Mechanics. Vol. 47 (2012), pp. 506-520.
- M. Massoudi and P. X. Tran. Remarks on Constitutive Modeling of Nanofluids, Advances in Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 2012, Article ID 927580, 6 pages, 2012. doi:10.1155/2012/927580.
- M. Massoudi and A. Vaidya. Analytical solutions to Stokes-type flows of inhomogeneous fluids. Applied Mathematics and Computation, Vol. 218(2012), pp.6314-6329.
- J. Kim, M. Massoudi, J. F. Antaki and A. Gandini. Removal of malaria-infected red blood cells using magnetic cell separators: A computational study. Applied Mathematics and Computation, Vol. 218(2012), pp.6841-6850.
- T. X. Phuoc, M. Massoudi, and R.-H. Chen. Viscosity and thermal conductivity of nanofluids containing multi-walled carbon nanotubes stabilized by chitosan. International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Vol. 50 (2011), pp. 12-18.
- M. Massoudi and M. M. Mehrabadi. Implicit constitutive relations in thermoelasticity. International Journal of non-Linear Mechanics, Vol. 46 (2011), pp. 286-290.
- M. Massoudi and A. Vaidya. A note on unsteady flows of inhomogeneous incompressible fluids. International Journal of non-Linear Mechanics. Vol. 46 (2011), pp. 738-741.
- M. Massoudi, Kim, J., S. J. Hund, and J. F. Antaki. Application of the theory of interacting continua to blood flow. Paper Number: SBC2011-53260, ASME Summer Bioengineering Conference Proceedings, June 2011.
- M. Massoudi. A generalization of Reiner’s mathematical model for wet sand. Mechanics Research Communications, Volume 38 (2011), pp. 378-381.
- M. Massoudi. “Heat Transfer in Complex Fluids”, pp. 497-520. In Two Phase Flow, Phase Change and Numerical Modeling. Edited by: Amimul Ahsan, ISBN 978-953-307-584-6. InTech Open, September 2011. Available from: http://www.intechopen.com/articles/show/title/heat-transfer-in-complex-fluids
- C.-S. Man and M. Massoudi. On the thermodynamics of some generalized second-grade fluids. Continuum Mechanics and Thermodynamics, Vol. 22 (2010), pp. 27-46.
- M. Massoudi and M. M. Mehrabadi. An implicit continuum mechanics approach to heat conduction in granular materials. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, Vol. 49 (2010), pp. 5215-5221.
- A. K. Uguz and M. Massoudi. Heat transfer and Couette flow of a chemically-reacting non-linear fluid. Mathematical Methods in the Applied Sciences, Vol. 33(2010), pp.1331-1341.
- M. Massoudi. A Mixture Theory formulation for hydraulic or pneumatic transport of solid particles. International Journal of Engineering Science. Vol. 48 (2010), pp. 1440-1461.
- S. J. Hund, J. F. Antaki and M. Massoudi. On the representation of turbulent stresses for computing blood damage. International Journal of Engineering Science. Vol. 48 (2010), pp.1325-1331.
- M. Massoudi. Mathematical Modeling of Granular Materials. Pages 219-245. In Rheology of Complex Fluids, Deshpande, Abhijit P.; Krishnan, J. Murali; Kumar, P. B. Sunil (Eds.),1st Edition., 2010, Hardcover, Springer, ISBN: 978-1-4419-6493-9.
- T. X. Phuoc and M. Massoudi. Experimental observations of the effects of shear rates and particle concentration on the viscosity of Fe2O3 – Deionized water nanofluids. International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Vol. 48(2009), pp. 1294-1301.
- M. Massoudi, T. X. Phuoc, and R. Wulandana. Convection-radiation heat transfer in a non-linear fluid with temperature-dependent viscosity, Mathematical Problems in Engineering, Vol. 2009 (2009), Article ID 232670, 15pages. DOI:10.1155/2009/232670.
- M. Massoudi and T. X. Phuoc. Unsteady motion of a non-linear viscoelastic fluid. International Journal of non-Linear Mechanics, Vol. 44(2009), pp.1063-1072.