Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering
Courtesy Appointment, Robotics Institute
5000 Forbes Avenue
Scaife Hall 409
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Dr. Majidi is an Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering at Carnegie Mellon University starting September 2011. Prior to joining the faculty, he was a postdoctoral fellow in the Harvard Microrobotics Laboratory (2009-2011) and the Princeton Institute for the Science and Technology of Materials (2007-2009). His experience in solid mechanics and microfabrication is the foundation of his current research in the emerging fields of soft robotics and active multifunctional materials.
The next generation of autonomous robots, assistive medical devices, and electronics will include systems that are soft, elastically deformable, and adapt their functionality to the changing demands of their operator and enviroment. Progress depends on new classes of multifunctional materials and soft machines for stretchable electronics, elastomer-based pneumatics, hyperelastic deformation sensing, and reversible shape and rigidity control.
Professor Majidi addresses these emerging challenges through a unique combination of rapid prototyping, soft-lithography microfabrication, and theoretical insights from solid mechanics. This includes innovations in liquid-embedded elastomer electronics (LE3) for stretchable sensors, circuits, and wearable computing.
EducationB.S. 2001, Cornell University
M.S. 2004, University of California at Berkeley
Ph.D. 2007, University of California at Berkeley
- N. Kazem, C. Majidi, C. Maloney, “Gelation And Mechanical Response Of Patchy Rods,” Soft Matter in press (2015).
- A. Fassler, C. Majidi, “Liquid Phase Metal Inclusions for a Conductive Polymer Composite,” Advanced Materials 27 1928–1932 (2015).
- W. Shan, S. Diller, A. Tutcuoglu, C. Majidi, “Rigidity-tuning conductive elastomer,” Smart Materials & Structures 24 065001 (2015)
- X. Zhou, C. Majidi, O. M. O’Reilly, “Soft hands: An analysis of some gripping mechanisms in soft robot design,” International Journal of Solids & Structures 64-65 155–165 (2015).
- X. Zhou, C. Majidi, O. M. O’Reilly, “Flexing into Motion: A Locomotion Mechanism for Soft Robots,” International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics 74 7-17 (2015).
- I. D. Joshipura, H. R. Ayers, C. Majidi, M. D. Dickey, “Methods to pattern liquid metals,” Journal of Materials Chemistry C 3 3834-3841 (2015).
- A. Tutcuoglu, C. Majidi, “Energy Harvesting with Stacked Dielectric Elastomer Transducers: Nonlinear Theory, Optimization, and Linearized Scaling Law,” Applied Physics Letters 105 241905 (2014).
- B. A. Gozen, A. Tabatabai, O. B. Ozdoganlar, C. Majidi, “High-Density Soft-Matter Electronics with Micron-Scale Line Width,” Advanced Materials 26 5211-5216 (2014).
- J Wissman, L Finkenauer, L Deseri, C Majidi, “Saddle-like deformation in a dielectric elastomer actuator embedded with liquid-phase gallium-indium electrodes,” Journal of Applied Physics 116 144905 (2014).
- X. Zhou, C. Majidi, O. M. O’Reilly “Energy Efficiency in Friction-Based Locomotion Mechanisms for Soft and Hard Robots: Slower can be Faster,” Nonlinear Dynamics 78 2811-2821 (2014).
- T. Lu, L. Finkenauer, J. Wissman, C. Majidi, “Rapid Prototyping for Soft-Matter Electronics,” Advanced Functional Materials 24 3351–3356 (2014).
- A. Fassler, C. Majidi, “3D Structures of Liquid-Phase GaIn Alloy Embedded in PDMS with Freeze Casting,” Lab on a Chip 13 4442-4450 (2013).
- A. Tabatabai, A. Fassler, C. Usiak, C. Majidi, Liquid-Phase Gallium-Indium Alloy Electronics with Microcontact Printing, Langmuir, Vol. 29, 6194-6200, 2013.
- D. Tepayotl-Ramirez, Tong Lu, Y.-L. Park, C. Majidi, Collapse of triangular channels in a soft elastomer, Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 102, 044102, 2013.
- C. Majidi, O. M. O’Reilly, J. A. Williams, On the stability of a rod adhering to a rigid surface: Shear-induced stable adhesion and the instability of peeling, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, Vol. 60, 827-843, 2012.
- C. Majidi, Y.-L. Park (co-1st author), R. Kramer, P. Bérard, R. J. Wood, Hyperelastic pressure sensing with a liquid-embedded elastomer, Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol. 20, 125029, 2010.
- C. Majidi, Z. Chen, D. J. Srolovitz, M. Haataja , Spontaneous Bending of Piezoelectric Nanoribbons: Mechanics, Polarization, and Space Charge Coupling, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, Vol. 58, 73-85, 2010.
- C. Majidi, G. G. Adams, A Simplified Formulation of Adhesion Problems with Elastic Plates, Proceedings of the Royal Society A, Vol. 465, 2217-2230, 2009.
- C. Majidi, R. E. Groff, Y. Maeno, B. Schubert, S. Baek, B. Bush, R. Maboudian, N. Gravish, M. Wilkinson, K. Autumn, R. S. Fearing, High Friction from a Stiff Polymer using Micro-Fiber Arrays, Physical Review Letters, Vol. 97, 076103, 2006.