Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering
5000 Forbes Avenue
Scaife Hall 409
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Dr. Majidi is an Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering at Carnegie Mellon University starting September 2011. Prior to joining the faculty, he was a postdoctoral fellow in the Harvard Microrobotics Laboratory (2009-2011) and the Princeton Institute for the Science and Technology of Materials (2007-2009). His experience in solid mechanics and microfabrication is the foundation of his current research in the emerging fields of soft robotics and active multifunctional materials.
The next generation of autonomous robots, assistive medical devices, and electronics will include systems that are soft, elastically deformable, and adapt their functionality to the changing demands of their operator and enviroment. Progress depends on new classes of multifunctional materials and soft machines for stretchable electronics, elastomer-based pneumatics, hyperelastic deformation sensing, and reversible shape and rigidity control.
Professor Majidi addresses these emerging challenges through a unique combination of rapid prototyping, soft-lithography microfabrication, and theoretical insights from solid mechanics. This includes innovations in liquid-embedded elastomer electronics (LE3) for stretchable sensors, circuits, and wearable computing.
EducationB.S. 2001, Cornell University
M.S. 2004, University of California at Berkeley
Ph.D. 2007, University of California at Berkeley
- C. Majidi, Y.-L. Park (co-1st author), R. Kramer, P. Bérard, R. J. Wood, Hyperelastic pressure sensing with a liquid-embedded elastomer, Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol. 20, 125029, 2010.
- C. Majidi, Z. Chen, D. J. Srolovitz, M. Haataja , Spontaneous Bending of Piezoelectric Nanoribbons: Mechanics, Polarization, and Space Charge Coupling, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, Vol. 58, 73-85, 2010.
- C. Majidi, R. J. Wood, Tunable elastic stiffness with micro-confined magnetorheological domains at low magnetic field, Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 97, 164104, 2010.
- C. Majidi, M. Haataja, D. J. Srolovitz, Analysis and design principles for shear-mode piezoelectric energy harvesting with ZnO nanoribbons, Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 19, 055027, 2010.
- C. Majidi, G. G. Adams, A Simplified Formulation of Adhesion Problems with Elastic Plates, Proceedings of the Royal Society A, Vol. 465, 2217-2230, 2009.
- J. Lee, C. Majidi, B. Schubert, R. S. Fearing, Sliding-induced adhesion of stiff polymer microfiber arrays. I. Macroscale behavior, Journal of the Royal Society Interface, Vol. 5, 835-844, 2008.
- C. Majidi, R. E. Groff, Y. Maeno, B. Schubert, S. Baek, B. Bush, R. Maboudian, N. Gravish, M. Wilkinson, K. Autumn, R. S. Fearing, High Friction from a Stiff Polymer using Micro-Fiber Arrays, Physical Review Letters, Vol. 97, 076103, 2006.