Carnegie Mellon undergraduates wishing to spend a semester in Washington, DC, pursuing an internship while earning credit and completing coursework are encouraged to apply to the CMUWSP.
- Completed CMUWSP application form (.pdf).
- The student must meet with his primary academic advisor to discuss curricular plans and receive the required approval signature within the CMUWSP application form.
- A one-page essay, explaining how the Washington semester ties into the student’s curricular plans at Carnegie Mellon and how it will contribute to his professional development.
- A current résumé, reviewed and approved by the Career and Professional Development Center.
- Two letters of recommendation (please use the forms included with the application):
- Faculty recommendation: At least one letter should come from a faculty member who has taught the student in class. The letter should address academic performance, ability to work in varied academic settings, ability to work independently, and writing skills. The recommender should also comment, if knowledgeable, on extracurricular involvement, service, and leadership experience.
- General recommendation: The second letter of recommendation may be written by a second faculty member or by another referee (such as a supervisor, coach, advisor, or volunteer coordinator) who can speak to how this opportunity complements the student’s intellectual or career interests. The recommender should also comment, if knowledgeable on extracurricular involvement, service, and leadership experience.
- Unofficial transcripts from Carnegie Mellon and official transcripts for any other undergraduate institutions where the student has completed course work. Students can download an unofficial transcript from SIO.
Application Fall 2014 Timeline
|Information Session1||Tuesday, February 11, 2014
|Information Session1||Wednesday, February 19, 2014
|Information Session1||Thursday, February 27, 2014
|Applications Due||Thursday, March 6, 2014 by 5:00pm|
|Admissions Notification||Monday, March 17, 2014
|Individual Internship Search Strategy Meeting||March 24- March 28, 2014 (by appointment)|
|CMUWSP Orientation (On-Campus)||April 3, 2014, 4:30-5:30pm, BH 154R|
1 Students should plan to attend only one information session. All sessions will be held from 4:30-5:30 PM in Baker Hall 154R. Pizza and drinks will be provided.