Tuition Benefits for Children
Carnegie Mellon is pleased to assist faculty and staff with the expense of educating their children. Tuition benefits cover current tuition charges only (past semesters, fees, housing or other costs are not covered). Benefits may be reduced by other awards; total benefits cannot exceed total eligible costs.
Tuition Benefits for Children Features:
Children Attending CMU
|Employee Eligibility||Full-time, benefits-eligible faculty and staff are eligible.
Staff/special faculty must complete five full years of service by the below dates:
Fall Term - October 1st
Winter/Spring Term - February 1st
Summer Term - July 1st
Child must be accepted into and enrolled in an undergraduate degree program before age 30. (Note: HR is not involved in the admissions process; children of faculty and staff are not guaranteed admission into any university.)
Children attending another institution must be enrolled full time (except for the summer term).
|Available to an unlimited number of eligible children.||Up to two eligible children|
|Up to eight semesters each (unused semesters may not be transferred to another child)|
|Benefit Level||100% tuition charges.||Staff/Special Faculty: In 2013-14, up to $6,660 per academic year (up to $3,330 per semester,$2,220 per trimester or $1,665 per quarter)
Faculty: up to 60% of Carnegie Mellon's tuition.
Taxes must be withheld in the year in which the benefit was received [i.e., when the check is issued], regardless of when the courses are taken.
|Not subject to federal, state or local taxes.||
Benefit is subject to state and local taxes for faculty and staff. Not subject to federal taxes.
Taxes will be withheld from your pay by Carnegie Mellon in one installment as follows:
- Register for the course(s) according to the institution's registration procedures.
- Apply for Tuition Benefits for Children using HR Connection as early as possible.
- If attending another institution, upload (or mail to the Benefits Office) a copy of the invoice showing tuition charges. Your application will be held until this is received.
- A new application is required for EACH semester in which you are requesting benefits for your child.
- Carnegie Mellon will forward payment of the applicable grant amount to The HUB for children attending Carnegie Mellon or will mail a check directly to the institution, made payable to the other institution:
- If you have already paid the tuition, ask for a refund in the amount of Carnegie Mellon's payment from the school your child is attending.
- If you or your child loses eligibility for the benefit, notify the Benefits Office immediately at 412-268-2047 or email@example.com; benefits will continue only through the completion of the current semester.