There are ten official holidays observed* by Carnegie Mellon's US campuses. The university is closed on these days, and all non-essential personnel are not expected to report to work. In addition, individuals may take up to three floating holidays per calendar year. (Note that the fiscal year runs from July 1–June 30.) International locations, such as Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar, may observe different holidays.
|Official University Holiday||FY 2014–2015 (Observed)||FY 2015–2016 (Observed)|
|Independence Day||July 4, 2014||July 3, 2015|
|Labor Day||September 1, 2014||September 7, 2015|
|Thanksgiving Day||November 27, 2014||November 26, 2015|
|Day After Thanksgiving||November 28, 2014||November 27, 2015|
|Christmas Eve Day||December 24, 2014||December 24, 2015|
|Christmas Day||December 25, 2014||December 25, 2015|
|New Year's Eve||December 31, 2014||December 31, 2015|
|New Year's Day
||January 1, 2015||January 1, 2016|
|Martin Luther King, Jr. Day||January 19, 2015||January 18, 2016|
||May 25, 2015||May 30, 2016|
*When a holiday falls on a Saturday, it is observed on the preceding day. (When the preceding day is also a holiday, both holidays are observed on preceding days.) When a holiday falls on a Sunday, it is observed on the following work day.
U.S. staff may take three "floating holidays" during the calendar year, with approval by their immediate supervisor. Unused floating holidays do not carry forward to the next calendar year; if they are not used, they will be lost. No payment for unused floating holidays is made to staff members who separate from the university.
Some departments have policies regarding periods when some floating holidays must or may not be used. Check with your department to determine if such a policy exists in your area.
Floating Holidays for New Staff:
- Staff members who begin full-time employment by April 30 are entitled to three floating holidays during the remainder of the calendar year in which they are hired.
- Those who begin by August 31 are entitled to two days in the remainder of that calendar year.
- Those who begin by October 31 are entitled to one day in the remainder of that calendar year.
- Staff members hired on or after November 1 are not eligible for floating holidays during the calendar year in which they are hired.
- On January 1 of the calendar year following their date of hire, the employee's floating holidays will re-set to three for the new calendar year.