Our vision of philosophy is interdisciplinary, rigorous, applied and relevant.
We do research on the foundations of science, computation, mathematics, rationality, causation, cognitive science, and other disciplines. We publish in philosophy, mathematics, computer science, biology, medicine, neuroscience, statistics, social science, educational research, linguistics, and other disciplines. Our faculty serve on National Academies of Science committees, work with the WHO, the CDC, the NSA, and NASA, and do work directly in the community via deliberative democracy. Our close connections to several other disciplines at Carnegie Mellon and our proximity to the University of Pittsburgh make for the most exciting venue for interdisciplinary philosophical work in the world today.
Philosophy Department News
- Alex John London Receives Clara L. West Professorship in Ethics and Philosophy
- The Ethics of Time Travel
- Danielle Wenner to Explore Ethics and Exploitation in Brocher Residency
- Robert Cavalier May Be Retiring, But He's Not Slowing Down
- CMWA Supports Students’ Committment to Advancement of Women