Welcome to the M.S. in Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical Engineering program. In this section current students will find information about policies, downloadable forms, and student services/organizations.
Before beginning courses, all students are required to satisfactorily complete an academic integrity instructional module, as proscribed by the Steering Committee.
The university’s complete Schedule of Classes can be found at: www.cmu.edu/hub.
To receive the M.S. degree, students must successfully complete these requirements:
- At least 108 units of coursework, which includes courses in specificcategories as listed below
- Average grade of B or above (GPA = 3.0) in those 108 or more units counted toward degree certification
- Full-time course registration (at least 36 units) for each semester in the program
Coursework consists of:
- Foundation Courses (39-57 units). Minimum C grade in each course counted toward graduation.
- 03-620 Cell Biology - Masters (Fall, 9 units)
- 03-709 Applied Cell and Molecular Biology (Fall, 12 units)
- 06-602 Bioprocessing Optimization, Entrepreneurship, and Regulatory Compliance (Spring, 3 units)
- 06-621 Material and Mass Balance (Fall, 9 units)
- 06-722 BioProcess Design (Fall, 12 units)
- 03-777-A3 Cell culture and microscopy (Spring, 6 units)
- 06-777-A4 CPS III lab (6 units)
- Biology Elective Courses (24 units). Minimum C grade in each course counted toward graduation.
- 03727 (S) Protein-protein interactions and protein processing
- 03728 (F) Genome Editing Biotechnology
- 03790 (S) Advanced Topics in Immunology & Immunotherapy (CAR-T)
- 03729 (F) Synthetic Biology: Cells as products & metabolic engineering
- 03742 (F) Advanced Molecular Biology
- 03766 (F) Advanced Neuropharmacology
- 03791 (S) Advanced Microbiology
- Chemical Engineering Elective Courses (24 units). Minimum C grade in each course counted toward graduation.
- 06609 (F) Physical Chemistry of Macromolecules
- 06610 (F) Rheology and Structure of Complex Fluids
- 06612 (F) Formulation Engineering
- 06804 (F) Drug Delivery Systems
- 06626 (F) mini on Bacterial Cell Culture & Fermentation
- 06627 (F) mini on Mammalian Cell Culture
- 06636 (S) mini on Bioseparation
- 06637 (S) mini on Spectroscopy and Biomolecular Characterization
- Additional Elective Courses (12 - 21 units, depending on whether more than 9 units of foundation courses are waived). Minimum C grade in each course counted toward graduation.
- Any course listed above from either host department
- 42611 (F) Biomaterials
- 42670 (F) Biomaterials Host Interactions
- 42676 (F) Bionanotechnology
- 42684 (F) Concepts in Immunoengineering & Immunotherapy Drug Development
- 09710 (S) Chemistry and Sustainability
- 09737 (S) Medicinal Chemistryand Drug Development
- 09722 (F) Kinetics and Mechanisms of Enzymatic Rx’ns
- 02604 (F) Bioinformatics
- 02710 (S) Computational Genomics
- 03711 (F) Computational Molecular Biology and Genomics
- 03713 (S) Bioinformatics data integration
- 03-/06690 (U) Biotech/Pharma Internship