Executive Short Course on Emerging and Disruptive Threats
- Wednesday, July 31, 2019
- US Army War College in Carlisle, PA
- This course was held at the Army War College, which focuses on land-based warfare, but it covered cyberwarfare, waged on servers and in the cloud, and space warfare. Presenting professors also discussed artificial intelligence and its effects on cyberwarfare.
Goal: To inform the Army War College faculty of the strategic implications of Cyber, Space, Information, and Emerging Technologies (Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Big Data)
Section 1, Cyber: Technology and the Policy of Cyber War
Isaac R. Porche III, Adjunct Instructor, Institute for Politics and Strategy
Section 2, Space: Complex Air and Missile Attack in an Era of Great Power Competition
Thomas Karako, Fellow, Carnegie Mellon University Washington Semester Program
Section 3, Emerging Technologies: The Impact of AI on Cybersecurity
Lujo Bauer, Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering
Section 4, Emerging Technologies: Emerging Technology and International Security
Colin P. Clarke, Assistant Teaching Professor, Institute for Politics and Strategy
Afternoon Discussion Sessions
Department of Command, Leadership, and Management (DCLM)
- Leadership of a Technical Workforce – How is it different, how is it the same?
- Defense Management – Workforce management and weapons systems' cybersecurity
Department of National Security and Strategy (DNSS)
- Theory – Applicability of the theories of war in space and cyberspace
- Policy and Strategy – Analysis of national, defense, and other agency policies and strategies for cyber, space, and emerging technologies; impact on national security
Department of Military Strategy, Planning, and Operations (DMSPO)
- Incorporating cyberspace and space operations into defense plans and operations
- Emerging Technologies' impact on military operations
Date: Wednesday, July 31, 2019
Time: Course registration begins at 8:30 a.m. The official course runs from 8:50 a.m. – 3:40 p.m.
Location: The Executive Short Course is held at the US Army War College in Carlisle, PA.