For Undergraduate Students
We work with undergraduates students on a variety of documents, including
|Application materials||Team projects|
|PowerPoint slides||Research posters||Grant proposals|
|Oral presentations||Lab reports||Senior theses|
Ways you can work with the GCC
- Receive feedback on a draft. A GCC tutor can help make sure your draft meets the assignment criteria, makes sense to an outside reader, is coherent and well-organized, and has sufficient depth and complexity. Our tutors are trained to help you with writing in the humanities (including thesis driven essays) and STEM fields (including technical papers). Upload your draft and ask your tutor to give you feedback.
- Develop a PowerPoint presentation. GCC tutors can help you help create effective PowerPoint or Prezi slides. Our tutors will talk to you about innovative research on effective PowerPoint slide design, and work with you to develop your presentation.
- Work on job or graduate school application materials. Revising high-stakes application materials can be stressful. Our tutors can offer feedback on your personal statement, cover letter or resume to help you effectively pitch your candidacy to a potential employer or educational program.
- Rehearse an oral presentation. You can use our tutors as an audience who can give you feedback on your oral presentation skills. We have a private conference room where you can practice your presentation. We can even videotape your presentation and review it with you.
- Design figures, graphs, and tables. If you are working on a technical project, how you present your data is central to explaining your research and argument. Our tutors can offer you principles of effective data visualization and help you present your data so your main findings and conclusions are clear to readers.
- Brainstorm. You can come in just to talk through your ideas and work with a tutor to develop your ideas or create an outline. If you are experiencing writer's block, our tutors can help you select a topic and develop a plan for action. We can offer strategies to help you work through class readings or rresearch
- Attend one of our workshops. See our list of upcoming workshops for more information.
Making your appointment
Please upload your draft 2 HOURS in advance-Uploading your draft will enable your tutor to prepare for your appointment and will ensure your appointment begins on time. (Please note: A draft is not necessary to visit the GCC if you're still in the brainstorming stage.)
The GCC offers several workshops throughout the Fall and Spring semesters. These works are open and free to all CMU students across all disciplines. For more information on our workshops, including upcoming workshops please visit the Workshops page.