Hunt Library, 1st floor,
(continue left past the circulation desk)
If this is your first time with us: welcome!
We recommend that you read through our short "Policies & FAQ" section, and the "How to Schedule & Upload" before scheduling your appointment.
Policies & FAQ
How far in advance do I need to upload my draft?
You should upload any drafts, PowerPoints, rubrics, PDFs, etc., 2 hours before your scheduled appointment. This is so your tutor has enough time to prep for your session. If you miss the upload deadline, your tutor will most likely need 10-15 minutes during your appointment to review your project.
Can a GCC tutor review a piece of writing that is not my own?
While we understand that your friends or colleagues may be unable to come to the GCC on their own, we will not review a piece of writing if it is not written by the student who made the appointment.
Can my tutor simply edit my paper?
GCC sessions are interactive and our focus is learning-based. This means we can not just proofread and edit papers -- but we will go through your paper with you to improve it and teach you communication skills that you can use in the future (this also means you can only recieve tutoring for your own work).
Who can use the GCC's services?
Any undergrad student, grad student, alumni, visiting scholar, faculty, or staff of Carnegie Mellon University can use the GCC's one-on-one consulting appointments, and workshops.
Alumni, visiting scholars, faculty, and staff all are welcome to use the GCC services but have to make same-day appointments.
How long will my appointment take?
Appointments are 50 minutes, followed by a 5 minute recap.
How many appointments can I schedule?
The limit is 1 appointment per day, and two appointments per week. This is so we can help as many students as possible!
All of your appointments are booked! What do I do?
Don't worry! You can use our waitlist function and be notified if there's a cancelation. Simply click the clock icon next to the date on which you'd like an appointment, and select "Join the waiting list." You'll even have the option to specify your availability and a consultant with whom you'd like to work.
Can I come late? What if I can't make my appointment?
No, students cannot come late to an appointment. It is important to us that we serve as many students as possible. When students show up late to an appointment, it is misusing the tutor's time and resources as well as taking that appointment away from other students. If you know you will be late when scheduling an appointment with the GCC, please schedule during a time period where your are available for 50 minutes. We have a strict "No-Show" policy, so it's best to either call, email, or cancel your appointment through WC Online. Since our appointments are high in demand, we only allow you to miss two appointments without notifying us. Failure to notify us twice will suspend your account.
Instructions for Scheduling & Uploading
1. Create an account on WC Online with your primary email account, and follow the prompts to fill in your information.
2. You will be taken to the GCC schedule. Any white space is an available appointment. Click any white space to select your appointment day and time (faculty, staff and sponsored accounts may only make same-day appointments -- see FAQ above for more information).
3. You will be prompted to answer a few questions about you and your project. Be specific with your goals. Your tutor plans your session according to your goals.
|Vague Communication Goal||Revised Communication Goal|
"I would like to focus on making sure my argument is logically constructed, specifically in the body paragraphs. I'm not sure if my textual evidence provides convincing support for my main argument."
4. After the answering the questions, the next page will prompt you to upload your assignment. If you have your most recent draft, please click the link to upload it. We prefer an assignment prompt or model essay if you have one too! If you're not ready to upload your project yet, simply close this window and skip to step 5. If your file is too large (typical with PowerPoints) or you can't seem to get it to upload, please email it to the GCC.
5. When you are ready to upload your draft (make sure it's uploaded 2 hours before your appointment!), you can always go back to WC Online and click the yellow folder icon at the top below your name, and upload your file.
Waitlist an appointment
If the appointment time you want is booked, you may add yourself to the waitlist by clicking on the clock icon next to the date. You can then elect to be notified if there are any cancellations.