Information for Students
- Have you taken a General Education course in Dietrich College?
- Have you produced an EXCEPTIONAL communication project in any Dietrich College GenEd course?
- Are you interested in publishing your work in a new student journal?
To honor the important work you produce in courses aligned with the Dietrich College General Education Program (launched Fall 2021), the Dietrich College GenEd and Department of English Writing & Communication Programs invite your submissions for WOVEN.
WOVEN provides the opportunity for students to publish multimodal works while gaining valuable experience with the author-editor relationships that scholars and researchers rely on in academia.
Frequently Asked Questions
I’m not currently a student in a GenEd course, can I submit work from a previous semester?
Yes! As long as you are a current student at CMU, any writing or communication project produced in a new Dietrich College GenEd course (beginning Fall 2021) is eligible for submission.
I am a CMU student in a college other than Dietrich, can I still submit work?
Yes! As long as you are a current student at CMU, any writing or communication project produced in a Dietrich College GenEd course (beginning Fall 2021) is eligible for submission, regardless of your major.
Can I submit group projects?
Yes! Collaborative research is the norm in many academic fields. All collaborators involved in a group project would need to consent to submission.
Initial consent can be obtained informally by email, but if the submission is accepted for publication, the editorial team at WOVEN will formally obtain the required permissions via Consent to Publish documentation.
What kind of work should I submit?
Communication work OF ANY GENRE! From essays to short films, proposals to podcasts, reports to websites, data stories to literature reviews, WOVEN is seeking variety! As long as the work is a project that demonstrates a critical engagement with existing scholarship, creative works, and/or social issues, WOVEN welcomes you to submit.
What is considered a "work of excellence”?
We are looking for projects that meet the following criterion:
- is particularly innovative, creative, or visionary,
- is exceptional when compared to similar work produced by your peers (e.g. A+ work),
- is a "polished work" - work that has been reviewed by instructor and/or peers and revised in response to given feedback. Typically, "polished works" are those that are produced for major assignments or significant components of major assignments. And,
- is representative of the rigor and merit of our college's general education curriculum & serves as an exemplar for future journal submissions.
I’m ready to submit, how do I do that?
Please submit your work using our Student Submission form. WOVEN will accept submissions on a rolling basis.