Thank you all for your continued passion for, and dedication to, Carnegie Mellon, and especially for your hard work and flexibility in these recent months.
CMU staff are a vital part of this institution who help us to deliver on CMU’s extraordinary potential.
Please see President Farnam Jahanian’s Our Path Forward message to campus on our plans to gradually begin to reopen campus. In most instances, the university has requested that everyone who can work remotely continue to do so.
- Remote Work Guidance for Pittsburgh Campus
- Detailed Guidelines for Remote Work
- Work and Leave Options [pdf] — A recently updated comprehensive matrix by scenario and information about unpaid time off and unpaid personal leaves of absence. As always, for illnesses that exceed seven calendar days, please contact the Leaves Department.
- Employee and Family Assistance Programs — Watch this brief video that highlights employee and family care resources including the employee assistance program and Care.com.
- NEW! EAP Training Spotlight — Coping with Pandemic Anxiety as Kids Return to School [pdf] is available through our EAP provider, GuidanceResources. Visit the Employee Assistance Program website for login guidance.
- Backup Care via Care.com — With all of the unknowns this back-to-school season, you may have a few gaps in care. Thankfully, you have Backup Care to help via Care.com. For additional help, please or suggestions review the Care.com Back-to-School resource guide.
- Temporary Amendments to PTO — Information about all temporary exceptions to the Paid Time Off policy including COVID-19 Time Off, Emergency Time Off, Use of Unearned PTO and PTO Rollover Exceptions (recently extended into 2021).
Health and Wellness
What if I get sick?
Our first priority is your safety and well-being. Learn what to do if you experience symptoms on the Symptoms & Reporting page.
Wear a Face Covering in Public
While on CMU premises, all faculty, staff, researchers, students and contractors must wear a facial covering (sufficient to cover the nose and mouth) at all times — both inside and outside of buildings.
Exceptions include: While eating or drinking, if working outdoors during hot and humid conditions, or when alone in a private space, such as an office, assigned residence hall room or enclosed vehicle. When outdoors, facial coverings are expected to be worn whenever physical distancing of 6 feet or more cannot be maintained. If you cannot wear a facial covering due to a medical condition, please contact either the Office of Disability Resources (students) or HR Disability Services (employees) to request an exemption as an accommodation.
If you are in need of a facial covering, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Mental Health and Emotional Support
CMU provides resources to help academic and staff employees and eligible dependents cope with these types of life events through the Guidance Resources Employee Assistance Program (EAP). You may also call the EAP line directly at 1-844-744-1370. The EAP provides confidential, short-term counseling at no cost to the employee.
If you know a student who needs help, or a student comes to you, we encourage you to point them to Counseling and Psychological Services (CaPS). CaPS counselors are available at any time, day or night, at 412-268-2922.
Medical Requests for Accommodations
Consistent with CMU’s commitment to maintain the health, safety and welfare of its faculty and staff, the university will provide a reasonable accommodation to eligible faculty and staff who, because of the COVID-19 pandemic, require workplace accommodations to enable them to perform the essential functions of their job, unless doing so would create an undue hardship.
The Office of Disability Services has developed a COVID-19 reasonable accommodation process for faculty and staff who seek workplace accommodations.
Events, Gatherings and Fitness
MEETINGS OR GATHERINGS
In-person gatherings or meetings are discouraged. All meetings should be held virtually via Zoom or other conferencing technologies whenever possible. However, in-person gatherings or meetings of up to 10 persons are permitted in spaces that will allow proper adherence to guidelines for reducing health risks.
For those not in Allegheny County, we recommend continuing to adhere to guidelines for reducing health risks.
Shared food should be eliminated and any catered food should be individually sealed and wrapped.
Campus Fitness Centers and Athletic Facilities
Fitness centers in the Cohon University Center, Tepper Quad and housing facilities are closed until further notice.
Gesling Stadium, the outdoor track, the soccer field, the outdoor basketball court and the tennis courts are closed to all community members. The Department of Athletics and Recreation is offering a number of virtual opportunities for all members of our community.
Hiring for staff positions will be conducted virtually. Recruiters will work with hiring managers to begin that process.
Staff Hiring Freeze and Virtual Interviewing Guidance: