Manage Zoom Interviews
Zoom allows you to easily set up and manage interviews using the Breakout Rooms feature. With Breakout Rooms, you can split a single Zoom meeting in up to 50 separate sessions. You can then arrange for a candidate to meet with several different interviewers in separate Breakout Rooms.
Expectations for the Host
- The interview host should be available for the entire day to answer questions and facilitate interview transitions.
- The interview host will need to have the Zoom meeting open throughout the day.
- The host will be unable to host other Zoom meetings during the time the interview is taking place.
Before You Start
- Make sure the Zoom application is updated.
Open the Zoom app and click the zoom.us menu (upper left).
Click Check for Updates.
If an update is available, click Update.
- Gather the following:
- The interview schedule which defines interview blocks (times) and interviewers during the session.
- The contact information for the interview candidate.
- The contact information for all interviewers (CMU employees).
Schedule the Zoom Interview
- Schedule the meeting for the interview candidate in Zoom.
- Schedule and send invitations to your interviewers by copying the Zoom invitation to your email/calendar application (Exchange or Google Mail). Send a Meeting Request to each interviewer for their assigned time block.
- Review Manage Zoom Interviews [pdf] and Breakout Rooms for Interviews [video].
- Practice using Breakout Rooms with your coworkers before your interview meeting.
Day of the Interview
- On the day of the interview, start the Zoom meeting and set up the Breakout Rooms.
- Facilitate the interview meeting process using the following features:
- Assign participants to the appropriate Breakout Rooms according to the interview schedule.
- Join each Breakout Room (as the host) at the start of each interview block to facilitate the interview process.
- Leave each Breakout Room (as the host) once each session has started.