The Syllabus: Course Policies / Expectations
Policies concerning attendance, participation, tardiness, academic integrity, missing homework, missed exams, recording classroom activities, food in class, laptop use, etc.
Describe your expectations for student behavior (e.g., respectful consideration of one another’s perspectives, open-mindedness, creative risk-taking). Let students know what they can expect from you (e.g., your availability for meetings or e-mail communication).
Examples for and from Carnegie Mellon Syllabi:
- Attendance and Participation Policy ex. 1 (.doc)
- Participation in Class Discussions (.doc)
- Attendance and Participation Policy ex. 2 (.doc)
- General Course Expectations (.doc)
- Use of Mobile Devices (.docx)
- Students' Recording of Classes (.docx)