Taxation provides a current centralized knowledge base of federal, state and local tax law and to develop and monitor appropriate policies, procedures and processes that comply with tax regulations for those aspects of the law which impact the university. To achieve this, Taxation:
- Prepares and ensures timely filing of the university, and where applicable, its affiliated organizations’ federal and state tax returns, reports and payments.
- Conducts research as needed and advise accordingly on tax consequences of the university’s transactions.
- Responds to tax-related questions from the university’s academic and administrative departments.
- Develops necessary procedures and reporting systems to ensure compliance with federal and state tax laws applicable to the university.
- Tracks university-related legislative tax developments at the federal, state and local level and educates the university community accordingly.
- Functions as the university liaison with federal, state and local tax authorities as well as outside consulting firms with respect to tax issues.
In accordance with the requirements of the U.S. Treasury Department, the information included on this website is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by any taxpayer, for the purposes of avoiding federal tax penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer. This statement is intended to comply with Section 10.35 (b) (4) (ii) of Circular 230, 31 C.F.R. Part 10.
CMU Ethics Reporting Hotline
www.reportit.net (Username: tartans; Password: plaid)