Jared L. Cohon
University Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Engineering and Public Policy
President Emeritus, Carnegie Mellon University
- Carnegie Mellon 1997-
Professor Cohon served as the President of Carnegie Mellon from 1997 until 2013. Before that he was Dean of Forestry and Environmental Studies at Yale (1992-1997) and on the faculty and in the administration at Johns Hopkins (1973-1992). He serves on the board of five non-profit organizations and two corporations. Among his extensive service for the U.S. government and the National Academies, he chaired the U.S. Nuclear Waste Technical Review Board (1997-2002), co-chaired the Commission to Review the Effectiveness of the National Laboratories (2015-2016), and currently chairs the Academies’ Board on Energy and Environmental Systems.
- Ph.D. (Civil Engineering), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1973.
- M.S. (Civil Engineering), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1972.
- B.S. (Civil Engineering), University of Pennsylvania, 1969.
Professor Cohon is interested in environmental systems analysis, especially the development and application of optimization tools for large-scale natural resource and environmental problems. Most of his theoretical work has focused on algorithms for multi-objective programming problems and systems methods for integrating engineering, economics and policy in public environmental decision making. He has worked most on water resource, energy and waste problems.
- E.N. Mayfield, A.L. Robinson and J.L. Cohon, “Systems-wide and Superemitter Policy Options for the Abatement of Methane Emissions from the US Natural Gas System,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 51, no. 9, pp 4772-4780, 2017.
- O.J. Schmitz, J.L. Cohon, K.D. Rothley and A.P. Beckerman, “Reconciling Variability and Optimal Behavior Using Multiple Criteria in Optimality,” Evolutionary Ecology, 1996.
- R.S. Solanski, P.A. Appino and J.L. Cohon, “Approximating the Noninferior Set in Multiobjective Linear Programming Problems, “ European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 356-373, 1993.
- C.S. ReVelle, J.L. Cohon and D. Shobrys, “Simultaneous Siting and Routing in the disposal of Hazardous Wastes,” Transportation Science, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 138-145, 1992.
Environmental systems analysis; development and application of optimization tools for large-scale natural resource and environmental problems; algorithms for multi-objective programming problems.