Associate Teaching Professor and Associate Department Head for Undergraduate Affairs, Engineering and Public Policy
- Assistant Teaching Professor, Associate Department Head for Undergraduate Affairs, Department of Engineering and Public Policy, 2010 -
- Research Associate, Green Design Institute, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, 2001-2010
- Graduate Programs Associate, Eberly Center for Teaching Excellence, 2004-Present
- 19-101: Introduction to Engineering and Public Policy
- 19-201: EPP Sophomore Seminar
- 19-451/19-452: EPP Projects
- 19-665: Environmental Politics and Policy
- Ph.D., Civil and Environmental Engineering 2001, Carnegie Mellon University
- M.S., Civil and Environmental Engineering December 1995, Carnegie Mellon University
- B.S.E., Civil Engineering 1994, Duke University
- Hendrickson, C. T., D. H. Matthews, M. Ashe, P. Jaramillo, and F. C. McMichael. “Reducing enviroonmental burdens of solid-state lighting through end-of-life design.”Environmental Research Letters vol 5 2010 014016.
- Matthews, D. H. and T. R. Hawkins. “A Classroom Simulation to Teach Economic Input-Output Life Cycle Assessment.” Journal of Industrial Ecology, vol 13 no. 4 Aug 2009 p 622-637.
- Matthews, D. H., T. R. Hawkins, P. Jaramillo, J. Marriott, and A. Sharrard. “The Green Design Apprenticeship: How An Outreach Program Strengthens Graduate Research.”Journal of Industrial Ecology, vol 13 no. 3 June 2009 p 467-476.
- Heard, R. A. and D. H. Matthews. “The Use of a Multidisciplinary Project to Expand the Materials Science Curriculum,” in Forum on Materials Science and Engineering Education for 2020, edited by L.M. Bartolo, K.C. Chen, M. Grant Norton, and G.M. Zenner (Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. Volume 1046E, Warrendale, PA, 2008), 1046-W03-08.
- Matthews, D. H., G. C. Christini, and C. T. Hendrickson. 2004. “Five Elements for Organizational Decision-Making with an Environmental Management System.” Environmental Science and Technology, v38, n7, pp1927-1932.
Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Klima, K. and D. H. Matthews. “FOCUS in Climate: Flights of Courses Unified for Students.” Proceedings of the 2015 American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference and Exposition, Seattle, Washington, June 2015.
- Matthews, D. H. “Evolution of Engineering and Public Policy Undergraduate Program at Carnegie Mellon University.” Proceedings of the 2014 American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference and Exposition, Indianapolis, Indiana, June 2014.
- Matthews, D. H. "Far-post Assessment of a Sustainability Engineering High School Outreach Program." Proceedings of the 2011 American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference and Exposition, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, June 2011.
- Mankoff, J., D. Matthews, S. Fussell, and M. Johnson, “Public Participation and Decision Support Systems: Theory, Requirements, and Applications,” Proceedings of the 40th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (CD-ROM) January 3-6, 2007, Computer Society Press, 2007 10 pages.
- Matthews, D. H., Matthews, H. S., Jaramillo, P., and Weber, C. L. “Energy consumption in the production of light-emitting diodes,” Proceedings of the 2008 IEEE International Symposium on Sustainable Systems and Technology, May 18-20, 2009, 6 pages.
- Jaramillo, P.; Marriott, J.; Matthews, D.H. “How much electricity do you use? An activity to teach high school students about energy issues,” Proceedings of the 2008 IEEE International Symposium on Electronics and the Environment, May 19-22, 2008 5 pages.