Tartan Testing Program Process
Tartan Testing is for all Pittsburgh-based Students, Faculty and Staff
Who Must Participate Weekly in Tartan Testing
- Students who are in progress with becoming fully vaccinated or those students who have been exempted from the COVID-19 vaccine requirement
- Faculty/staff who have not uploaded their vaccination information to the university’s Vaccine Database
The test takes less than 15 minutes and same-day appointments are often available. Tartan Testing is also available for fully vaccinated CMU community members who desire a weekly test.
To complete Tartan Testing, see the steps below on this page or view the directions for participation in the Tartan Testing Appointment Reminder email you receive every Friday. If you have questions or concerns about the Tartan Testing Program, please email email@example.com.
Tests provide a snapshot of the moment at which the test is taken, so it is critical to remain committed to our mitigation behaviors. Background on CMU COVID-19 Testing
Prepare for your appointment.
Go to East Campus Garage to
check in for your appointment.
Provide your saliva sample at
East Campus Garage and await results.
1. Schedule an appointment.
Select an appointment through the HealthConnect portal. The sooner you elect an appointment time, the more flexibility you will have to choose among available slots.
Appointments will last approximately 15 minutes. However, during high volume testing periods, the process may take longer, and unexpected delays may occur (e.g., inclement weather, etc.). We appreciate your support and patience with this very important process.
- Sign onto HealthConnect with your date of birth.
- Select the "Schedule an appointment" button.
- Select your primary campus status and then select the "Continue" button.
- Select "COVID-19 Asymptomatic Testing" and then select the "Continue" button.
- Faculty and staff need to read and approve a COVID-19 Test Consent Form and students are required to sign an annual Treatment Agreement before booking their appointment.
- After selecting the "Submit" button, you can then "Search for appointments."
HealthConnect is CMU’s secure online portal for University Health Services (our students’ primary care provider). We have expanded the system’s functionality so that faculty and staff will also use HealthConnect to schedule asymptomatic COVID-19 testing. HealthConnect is housed on campus and monitored by Carnegie Mellon's Information Security Office (ISO). Access to the stored information is limited to authorized personnel and treated confidentially.
Faculty and staff are currently not required nor expected to answer any health or medical history related questions in order to participate in Tartan Testing. If you are prompted in HealthConnect for this information, please click through the questions without entering a response.
If you have issues logging into HealthConnect to schedule your appointment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Prepare for your appointment.
Before You Arrive
If your sample is contaminated or discolored, it will not produce a test result and will not be processed.
To reduce the incidence of contaminated saliva and rejected test results, note these important steps regarding how you should prepare to provide your saliva sample.
- During the 60 minutes prior to your appointment, do not eat, drink (other than water), smoke or vape, brush your teeth or chew gum.
- Do not wear lipstick, lip gloss or lip balm to your appointment.
10 minutes before your appointment, swish water in your mouth and swallow it. After this, do not drink anything else before your appointment.
What to Bring
- CMU ID and mobile device: Bring your university ID (or government-issued ID) and a mobile device (or printed page) to display your appointment QR code.
- Face covering: You are required to wear a face covering/mask throughout the testing process, except during saliva sample collection, when you will be asked to lift your mask to provide the sample.
3. Go to East Campus Garage to check in for your appointment.
Check-in Process: Now at East Campus Garage
NEW: You will check in for your test at East Campus Garage. Just before you are called to a check-in table, click “Appointments” in the HealthConnect menu and select today’s appointment to pull up your personal QR code on your mobile device.
A staff member will give you a test kit, and you will be directed to an individual testing station to provide your sample.
4. Provide your saliva sample at East Campus Garage and await results.
Remember to practice CDC recommended hygiene practices before and after you provide your test sample.
Your saliva sample will be processed by the Tartan COVID-19 Testing Lab and results will be returned to you within 2-3 business days.
- If you have a positive test result, you will receive a call and an email from University Health Services (UHS) directing you to log in to HealthConnect and view your test results. UHS and university staff will provide guidance and support to those who test positive or are close contacts of someone testing positive. A plan for care, isolation and contact tracing will be initiated.
- If you have a negative test result, you will receive an email from UHS directing you to log in to HealthConnect and view your test results.
Faculty and Staff
- You will receive an email from UHS directing you to log in to HealthConnect and view your test results when they are available.
Faculty or staff with positive test results should consult their health care provider regarding a plan for care and isolation. CMU’s Community Health and Well-Being will assist with referrals to primary care providers, as needed. Additionally, a plan for contact tracing will be initiated.
About the Test
Tartan Testing employs a COVID-19 asymptomatic test based on the SalivaDirect open-access protocol developed by the Yale School of Public Health. This test uses saliva samples to detect the presence of RNA from the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which causes COVID-19.
Questions or Concerns?
If you have questions or concerns about the Tartan COVID-19 Asymptomatic Testing Program, email email@example.com.
Client Reference Manual
The Tartan Testing Lab Client Reference Manual is available upon request by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.