Applicants should contact us with any questions. Interested students who want to join the M.S. in Quantitative Biology and Bioinformatics program at Carnegie Mellon University should have a background in biology, chemistry, biomedical engineering, or chemical engineering and must have graduated from a recognized four-year college, university or institute of technology, or have earned equivalent credentials. To be reviewed by the Admissions Committee, the application package must be complete. The application package consists of:
- Unofficial photocopies/scans of transcripts (in English) are all that we need for application purposes. If you are admitted and choose to come, you will need to provide an official transcript over the summer before you matriculate.
- An official report of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test and subject test are not required, but will be reviewed if submitted with your application. Photocopies of GRE scores will not be accepted, and scores must be no more than five years old.
- Institution code: CMU 2074
- Department code: Biology 0203
- Non-native English - English proficiency test scores are required for all non-native English-speaking applicants unless the applicant has completed a university-level degree in the U.S. or another majority-native English-speaking country in the last four years, such as: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada (excluding Quebec), Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Malta, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, United Kingdom. Photocopies of TOEFL/IELTS/DUOLINGO scores will be accepted for admission purposes only, and scores must be no more than two years old. However, if you are accepted to the program, it will be on a provisional basis until we receive your official English proficiency score. Please send your scores to the following codes:
- Duolingo English Test: Select “Carnegie Mellon University – Mellon College of Science”
- TOEFL: Institution Code: CMU 2074; Department Code: 35
- IELTS Program Code: Select “Carnegie Mellon University, Mellon College of Science”
- Three online letters of recommendation. These letters should be from individuals who are in a position to evaluate your ability to successfully complete a M.S. in Quantitative Biology and Bioinformatics; at least one letter should be from the college most recently attended.
- A Statement of Purpose. This document should be a well-written, 1-2 page essay describing primary areas of interest, motives for a M.S. in Quantitative Biology and Bioinformatics and reasons for considering the Department of Biological Sciences.
- Deadlines for applications are the following:
All applicants: priority admission deadline is December 15th, however later applications will be accepted until the dates below (until all slots are filled)
International applications: March 18th application deadline to submit (LORs need to be submitted within 2 weeks after the application is submitted)
Domestic applications: April 29th application deadline to submit (LORs need to be submitted within 2 weeks after the application is submitted)