Carnegie Mellon University

Staff Resources

Remote Working

The university has requested that everyone who can work remotely should do so. 

If your job duties do not allow remote work and you are 60 years old or older, or have an underlying medical condition that may put you at higher risk for complications, you should contact your HR business partner to be counseled on PTO and leave options and process.

If your children are home because their school is closed due to COVID-19, you should work with your supervisor and be counseled by your HR business partner as follows:

  1. Normally, working from home would not be permitted. For this extraordinary situation, remote work may be available.
  2. PTO and other leave options are available.

How To

STEP 1: Secure Your Devices and Data

Secure your devices, ensure a stable Internet connection and manage your files.

STEP 2: Collaborate with Others

Collaborate with peers via web conferencing and phone; share files as needed.

STEP 3: Access Your Work

Get the software, applications and connectivity you need for remote working.


  • Computing Services Help Center at 412-268-4357 (HELP) or
  • Self-Service (log-in required): create a help ticket; view service status

Health and Wellness


We are encouraging people to engage in social distancing practices

Social distancing is an evidence-based public health practice to mitigate the spread of viruses.

What is it? Public health practice to mitigate spread of viruses

How do I practice it? Keep 6 feet of distance between you and others. Postpone or cancel all meetings that involve more than 10 people

More on social distancing


CMU provides resources to help academic and staff employees and eligible dependents cope with these types of life events through the Guidance Resources Employee Assistance Program (EAP) (login required). You may also call the EAP line directly at 1-844-744-1370. The EAP provides confidential, short-term counseling at no cost to the employee.

If you know a student who needs help, or a student comes to you, we encourage you to point them to Counseling and Psychological Services (CaPS). CaPS counselors are available at any time, day or night, at 412-268-2922.


If you are a faculty or staff member who has been to an affected area under a Level 3 CDC travel warning within the last 14 days and are experiencing symptoms, you should contact your primary care provider immediately for guidance; you should also self-isolate.

Learn tips for staying healthy, symptoms to look out for, and guidelines for self-isolation on the Coronavirus and Your Health page.


Hiring for staff positions will be conducted virtually. Recruiters will work with hiring managers to begin that process.