Benefits for Dependents
Benefits-eligible employees may cover their eligible dependents in medical, prescription, dental, vision and life insurance benefits, as well as other benefit programs (see right).
Documentation is required when adding dependents to your coverage. Supporting documentation [pdf] that proves your relationship must be submitted within 30 days of their enrollment date, or they will be removed from your coverage.
Eligible dependents include:
- Your spouse or registered domestic partner (see domestic partnership criteria),
- Your children, defined as any one or more of the following:
- natural born children
- legally-adopted children
- children of your registered domestic partner whom you can claim as your dependent on your U.S. federal income tax return for U.S. federal income tax purposes
- children for whom you, your spouse or domestic partner serve as legal guardian
- children for whom coverage is mandated by a qualified medical child support order
Age Limit for Children
Children may be covered under the medical, prescription, dental, vision and dependent life insurance benefits until the end of the month of their 26th birthday.
An unmarried dependent child age 26 or older who, except for his or her age, would otherwise qualify for coverage as specified above and who meets all of the following criteria continues to be eligible for coverage:
- the child is incapable of self-sustaining employment due to a mental or physical handicap, as certified by a licensed physician;
- the child became mentally or physically handicapped prior to age 26; and
- the child continues to be claimed as your dependent on your U.S. federal income tax return for U.S. federal income tax purposes.