We provide the following services to faculty
• Help designing assignments that improve your students’ communication skills
• Conduct writing or communication workshops in your class
• Facilitate student peer review sessions
• Assist with integrating communication instruction into your class
• Design individualized or group sessions in the GCC tailored to your class or assignments
• Offer other advice, services, and feedback as needed
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to meet with our directors about any of these services.
Our philosophy on grammar
A paper can be grammatically correct and still very difficult for readers to understand. Likewise, a paper can be logical, clear and concise even though it contains grammatical errors. In our experience, most readers will forgive a few grammatical errors if they can understand what the writer is trying to say. Errors become most noticeable when a writer’s thoughts or arguments are unclear.
Faculty often refer students to the GCC to focus on grammar and correctness. However, our philosophy is that students will be better served if we focus on making sure their ideas, arguments, and research contributions are clearly explained. Sometimes this involves grammatical issues, but often it is a matter of understanding the conventions of writing in an American university. Not only do we believe that focusing on such conventions will make a greater impact on students' writing than focusing on grammar, but such conventions are much easier to learn and are likely to have a more lasting impact on a writer's development than focusing on correctness. The English language is extremely complex and many rules can only be acquired through repeated practice and years of immersion in the culture.